LONG POND, Pa. - The IndyCar Series will return to Pocono Raceway in 2013 and host doubleheaders at Detroit, Toronto and new venue Houston for a 19-race schedule.
The July 7 race at Pocono will be a 400-miler and be included in a Triple Crown challenge by IndyCar. A $1 million bonus will go to the driver who can win the Indianapolis 500, Pocono and the Oct. 19 finale at Fontana.
A $250,000 bonus will be awarded if a driver wins two of the three Triple Crown events.
The season will open March 24 at St. Petersburg and return to 14 of the 15 venues it visited in 2012. Off the schedule is Edmonton, and Pocono and Houston are the new additions.
Pocono Raceway last hosted an IndyCar race in 1989.
Tickets for the July 7 race are available on the Pocono Raceway's website.
A jury is expected to begin weighing the sentence for a gunman who targeted Pennsylvania state troopers at their barracks, killing one and leaving a second with devastating injuries.Read More »
- Eric Frein laughed about selling story in recorded phone call
- Police ambush killer won't take stand in bid to spare life
- Fire destroys home in Schuylkill Township
- Shenandoah Sentinel creator has big plans
- Eric Frein's father, mother testify during penalty phase
- BonTon carries Pottsville pottery-maker's products
- Jury to begin weighing sentence for police ambush killer
- Berks County officials continue to discuss partnership with ICE
- Multi-Purpose skatepark in the works in Reading
- Reading Planning Commission moves forward on subdivision of Fromm Electric
- Hanover Township hears Turkey Hill liquor license request
- Airport authority scrambling to handle more cargo traffic
- Life Lessons: Be Strong: Anti-bullying phone app
- A little rain this morning; otherwise mostly cloudy and turning milder today
- A career (and a giraffe) is born
- North Catasauqua Borough Council give sinkhole house owner an ultimatum