LONG POND, Pa. - The IndyCar Series will return to Pocono Raceway in 2013 and host doubleheaders at Detroit, Toronto and new venue Houston for a 19-race schedule.
The July 7 race at Pocono will be a 400-miler and be included in a Triple Crown challenge by IndyCar. A $1 million bonus will go to the driver who can win the Indianapolis 500, Pocono and the Oct. 19 finale at Fontana.
A $250,000 bonus will be awarded if a driver wins two of the three Triple Crown events.
The season opens March 24 at St. Petersburg, and returns to 14 of the 15 venues it visited in 2012. Off the schedule is Edmonton, and Pocono and Houston are the new additions.
Pocono Raceway last hosted an IndyCar race in 1989.
Police said the suspicious death of a man found in his Schuylkill County home earlier this week has been ruled a homicide.Read More »
- Alpine Mountain Ski area sold
- Frackville police investigating man's 'suspicious' death
- 2 people killed in fiery crash on I-81 in Schuylkill County
- Man charged in Palmerton driveway paving scam
- Schuylkill man to appear in court; accused of leaving 3 young children alone, 1 in 'cage'
- Stroudsburg church to begin 'organ' transplant
- Coroner identifies man found dead in Schuylkill River
- Man's 'suspicious' death in Frackville ruled a homicide
- Former Phillies pitcher Jim Bunning Passes Away at 85
- Holiday travelers will encounter rising prices at the pump
- Summer recipes on the grill
- Gregg Allman of the Allman Brothers Band Dies at Age 69
- World War II veteran discusses issues faced by those returning from war
- 75-year-old man dies days after crash on Route 22
- Memorial honors Lehigh Valley veteran
- Summer getaways in the Lehigh Valley