LONG POND, Pa. - The IndyCar Series will return to Pocono Raceway in 2013 and host doubleheaders at Detroit, Toronto and new venue Houston for a 19-race schedule.
The July 7 race at Pocono will be a 400-miler and be included in a Triple Crown challenge by IndyCar. A $1 million bonus will go to the driver who can win the Indianapolis 500, Pocono and the Oct. 19 finale at Fontana.
A $250,000 bonus will be awarded if a driver wins two of the three Triple Crown events.
The season opens March 24 at St. Petersburg, and returns to 14 of the 15 venues it visited in 2012. Off the schedule is Edmonton, and Pocono and Houston are the new additions.
Pocono Raceway last hosted an IndyCar race in 1989.
The National Park Service will be closing River Road in Middle Smithfield Township between park headquarters and Hialeah Picnic Area to protect migrating amphibians.Read More »
- 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos
- PennDOT cracking down on 'Graffiti Highway' trespassing
- Police seize weapons from home of Horvath's father-in-law
- Route 222 reopens after crash closed it for nearly six hours Friday
- Safe travels, Ed: A new generation honors the Greatest
- Allentown's Police Athletic League keeping kids on the right track
- Easton man charged with homicide in fatal shooting
- Woman loses more than half her body weight after 140-pound mass is removed
- Al Boscov's daughters, lifelong friend to speak at service
- Warm weather in Berks means time for ice cream
- Union Township woman accused of stealing from Parent Teacher Association
- "Mascots for a Cure" get down in Pottstown
- Black Bass Hotel becomes Hollywood movie set