MIDDLE SMITHFIELD TWP., Pa. - The investigation into a devastating fire at a former Pocono Mountains resort continues.
Fire crews in Monroe County responded Sunday night to a fire at the vacant Fernwood Resort in Middle Smithfield Township. About 100 firefighters from 15 fire departments in two states responded about 9 p.m. to what was initially reported as a commercial structure roof fire.
Authorities said it took two hours to get the fire under control, and little remained Monday besides charred wood and mangled metal, marking what was once a resort until 2014.
The Bushkill Fire Co. chief said crews searched the building after reports that someone may have been inside. He said firefighters didn't find anyone in the building.
Authorities said a Buddhist group had purchased the roughly 30-acre property last year in hopes of creating a world peace center. There's no word yet on a cause, but an investigation is under way.
The Monroe County Drug Task Force arrested two men for attempted purchase or receipt of a controlled substance Tuesday afternoon.Read More »
- Berks-based uniform company to close plant near Frackville
- Dog the Bounty Hunter to join search for Shawn Christy
- Father of fugitive Shawn Christy makes plea to son
- Police search for missing Schuylkill County girl
- Tobyhanna Township to receive new wells
- East Stroudsburg brothers, Wind Gap man killed in Route 209 crash
- Updated Sister of former S. Whitehall Twp. police officer speaks out
- Updated 1 year after Hurricane Maria: Vigil held to honor lives lost
- Updated Forks Supervisors grant preliminary approval for Knollwood Estates
- Two men arrested before drug sale in East Stroudsburg
- PA gas companies merge into UGI Utilities, Inc.
- Allentown Diocese settles lawsuit for undisclosed amount
- Hearst Magazines to open office in Easton
- Arrest made in Pennsburg fatal hit-and-run
- Mayor to Reading residents: 'Your city is alive and well'
- Fundraiser planned for Berks baby with Alpers syndrome