WALKER TWP., Pa. - An iconic Pennsylvania product is making a return to store shelves.
Yuengling's Ice Cream is back in business after a nearly 30-year hiatus. The first batch of the storied ice cream came off the production line Thursday inside Leiby's Dairy in Walker Twp., Schuylkill Co., near Tamaqua.
"It's good to see the family name and the quality we always had come back into the ice cream and have such a good response," said David Yuengling, president of Yuengling's Ice Cream.
Yuengling took a step away from corporate America to get back to his family's roots.
"We're keeping with the quality that people remember from the past, the high quality ice cream," said Yuengling.
Production was originally set to begin in March. The company pushed up the date by two months after receiving such an enthusiastic response to the September announcement of the ice cream's return.
"It's been overwhelming! I actually got a call from a gentleman in Alaska who wanted me to ship him ice cream," Yuengling said.
The initial run will consist of 100,000 quarts in 10 flavors: chocolate, vanilla, Black and Tan (chocolate and caramel), chocolate chip, vanilla fudge chunk with pretzels, espresso chocolate chip, chocolate fudge brownie, chocolate marshmallow, root beer float and mint chocolate chip.
"This is the culmination of actually seeing our product go from idea to formulation, and not to it actually coming off the assembly line," said Rob Bohorad, the company's chief operating officer.
Yuengling's Ice Cream dates back to the 1920s. It was started during Prohibition and helped supplement the Yuengling Brewery in Pottsville to keep business afloat. Today, they're not affiliated.
"They split off as two separate companies in 1935. My grandfather took over the ice cream side of the business and my great-grandfather continued to run the brewery" said Yuengling.
The ice cream will initially be sold at Acme, Weis and independent grocery stores starting mid-February in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York and West Virginia. Other stores are also expected to add the Yuengling brand to their ice cream freezers.
A quart is expected to cost between $5.49 and $5.99.Images: Yuengling's Ice Cream rolls off production line
- Shenandoah Sentinel creator has big plans
- Eric Frein's father, mother testify during penalty phase
- BonTon carries Pottsville pottery-maker's products
- Judge refuses competency hearing for police ambush killer
- Eric Frein sentencing continues Monday, focus shifts to Frein's father
- Eric Frein's strategy to avoid death: Blame Dad
- Updated Standing-room-only crowd wants Troxell to be next Phillipsburg School District superintendent
- Berks executive convicted of stealing from company to be sentenced
- Basking Ridge, N.J. says goodbye to an old friend
- BASD seeks several grants
- Berks man arrested in local check fraud scheme
- Reading City Council awards towing contract
- Life Lessons: Grandparents get geeky
- Commission set to vote on New Jersey statehouse renovations
- Periods of rain or drizzle today; spotty rain or drizzle continues through early tomorrow
- Bowl-O-Rama owners pinned In legal battle