MONROE COUNTY, Pa. - Police are looking for a man who's charged with fraud, and they're asking the public's help to find him, and you could earn a cash award.
Stroud Area Regional Police are trying to locate 54-year-old Joseph Mazzie.
Police said Mazzie proposed a business deal to Mike Coppola. Mazzie told Coppola he worked for DirecTV and that Coppola could earn commission money selling satellite dishes.
All Coppola had to do was pay Mazzie $600 to print ad flyers, startup fees and badges.
Coppola wrote Mazzie a check and made it out to 'cash' for $600, police said. Mazzie told Coppola the bank wouldn't cash a check made out to 'cash,' so Coppola gave him a check for $600.
After about 10 days, Coppola received his bank statement, which showed that both $600 checks had been cashed, police said, so Coppola called Mazzie. The phone had been disconnected.
Mazzie later called Coppola on February 11, 2013, when Coppola told Mazzie he wanted his $1,200 back. Mazzie said he'd would come to pay him on February 13, 2013, but on that day, Mazzie called again and said he'd be there the next day.
He never showed up to reimburse the money.
Monroe County Crime Stoppers is offering a cash reward for information that leads to Mazzie's arrest.
He is a white male, 6 feet 3 inches tall and weighs 280 pounds. His last known address was on Canyon Bay Lane in Boynton Beach, Florida.
If you have information on this "Crime Of The Week" or any other serious crime or wanted Person, call Monroe County Crime Stoppers at 1-866-370-1518. Callers could be eligible for cash rewards and you may remain anonymous.
Eric Frein has been convicted of multiple charges, including the killing of a state trooper in an ambush attack.Read More »
- Eric Frein's strategy to avoid death: Blame Dad
- Fire guts attached garage, damages home in Rush Twp.
- Woman killed in 1-car crash going 120 mph
- Defense begins to present its case in Eric Frein trial penalty phase
- Fallen trooper's wife gives emotional testimony in trial
- Penalty phase starts in Eric Frein trial
- Trial begins for accused getaway driver in 2015 killing spree
- Eric Frein sentencing continues Monday, focus shifts to Frein's father
- Updated Small earthquake rattles parts of Pennsylvania
- Updated Police arrest third man allegedly tied to drug deal assault
- Updated Mostly cloudy with a bit of rain this afternoon; rain continues through early Wednesday
- Street closures scheduled for downtown Allentown this week
- Pet owners learn animal CPR to help their furry friends
- Life Lessons: 3 Jars
- State police: 1 killed in crash with State Police vehicle
- Philadelphia cops raid pot-smoking party, arresting 22