MAHONING TOWNSHIP, Pa. - A Louisiana man was seriously injured when the car in which he was a passenger hit a tree early Sunday morning in Carbon County.
The accident happened at 5:30 a.m. on Orioles Drive in Mahoning Township.
A Mercury Milan driven by Pasquale Verrastro Jr. of Mahoning Township was traveling west at a high rate of speed when the vehicle went off the roadway and struck a tree, reported township police.
The passenger Alexander Landry of Mandeville, La., was trapped with major injuries.
Members of the Lehighton Fire Department worked for about an hour to free Landry, who then was flown by medical helicopter to St Luke's Hospital in Lehigh County.
Township police said charges against Pasquale are pending the results of a blood test.
But police say Monday morning a request for cash had a nefarious ultimatum that led to the 58-year-old being shot in the right eye with a sawed off shotgun.Read More »
- Pizza delivery driver ambushed, shot; 3 charged with attempted homicide
- 3, including a 17-year-old boy, charged in pizza delivery shooting
- Community takes stand against hate speech in Monroe County
- 58-year-old pizza delivery driver in critical condition
- Pizza delivery driver shot at East Stroudsburg University
- Police investigate early-morning shooting at East Stroudsburg University
- 2 men facing charges in relation to killing of Verizon store employee
- James Hickey pleads guilty in pay-to-play scheme
- Updated Neighbors of shooting victim 'devastated' by pizza delivery incident
- Updated Reading celebrates start of Hanukkah with menorah lighting
- Updated Lehigh students use virtual reality to diagnose glaucoma
- Updated Berks DA leads push for tougher sentences in fentanyl cases
- Discover ways to combat porch pirates this holiday
- Millbrook HomeCare Partners under new ownership
- Woman sentenced to 42 to 94 years in son's beating death
- Health Beat: Opioids, hepatitis C, and kids