MAHONING TOWNSHIP, Pa. - A Louisiana man was seriously injured when the car in which he was a passenger hit a tree early Sunday morning in Carbon County.
The accident happened at 5:30 a.m. on Orioles Drive in Mahoning Township.
A Mercury Milan driven by Pasquale Verrastro Jr. of Mahoning Township was traveling west at a high rate of speed when the vehicle went off the roadway and struck a tree, reported township police.
The passenger Alexander Landry of Mandeville, La., was trapped with major injuries.
Members of the Lehighton Fire Department worked for about an hour to free Landry, who then was flown by medical helicopter to St Luke's Hospital in Lehigh County.
Township police said charges against Pasquale are pending the results of a blood test.
The National Park Service will be closing River Road in Middle Smithfield Township between park headquarters and Hialeah Picnic Area to protect migrating amphibians.Read More »
- 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos
- PennDOT cracking down on 'Graffiti Highway' trespassing
- Police seize weapons from home of Horvath's father-in-law
- Updated Fatal crash closes Route 222 South in Spring
- Easton man charged with homicide in fatal shooting
- Updated Al Boscov's daughters, lifelong friend to speak at service
- Updated Mount Penn Fire Company ready for 49th fastnacht sale
- Updated Linking efforts In the battle against opioid abuse
- Candidate for Allentown mayor may face ethics code conflict
- Police allege Weis employee helped herself to $7,000
- Health Beat: Cancer treatment unclogs patient's heart
- State police find drugs in false-bottom cans during Nazareth raid
- Too few flushes get legislative candidate thrown off ballot