POCONO TOWNSHIP, Pa. - An unidentified 64-year-old man died Wednesday morning while exercising in the swimming pool at Elevations Health Club in Pocono Township.
The man signed in for his workout at 9:11 a.m.
Someone later saw him floating, not moving, in the pool and screamed for help.
Staff at the health club removed the man from the pool, called 911 and began CPR.
At 10:34 a.m., the Pocono Central Ambulance Corps took the man to Pocono Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
Monroe County Coroner Bob Allen reported the victim was working out and in the shallow end of the swimming pool when he had some kind of medical episode and immediately passed out.
Allen said the man's name is not being released until his family is notified.
An autopsy will be conducted Thursday, according to Allen.
The coroner said the victim had been a marathon runner and appeared to be in good physical condition.
According to police, the club has a "swim at your own risk" policy, with no lifeguards on duty.
The National Park Service will be closing River Road in Middle Smithfield Township between park headquarters and Hialeah Picnic Area to protect migrating amphibians.Read More »
- 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos
- PennDOT cracking down on 'Graffiti Highway' trespassing
- Police seize weapons from home of Horvath's father-in-law
- Public memorial service planned for Al Boscov
- Man shot, killed by Reading police after allegedly pointing shotgun at officers
- Strong storms move through the region
- Police investigating morning shooting in Reading
- Police searching for missing man in Bethlehem
- Bethlehem police searching for missing elderly man
- Judge: Man charged in deadly stabbing will remain jailed
- Police work to bring back murder suspect who fled state with 6-year-old daughter
- Police: Driver owes nearly $13,000 in unpaid tolls, fees
- Motorists seeing slightly lower gas prices in New Jersey