MCCADOO BOROUGH, Pa. - Schuylkill County authorities say stolen booze in the Borough of McAdoo led to an early morning blaze.
One man is in custody in connection with the fire and police are looking for others.
Recovered alcohol is about all that's left of Gene Nance's bar.
"I feel pretty bad. Pretty bad thing to happen on New Year's," he said.
Gene's Grey Goose Bar became engulfed in flames just after midnight on New Years Day. Tens of thousands of dollars spent renovating the place now up in smoke.
"I bought a limo to take people back and forth so they wouldn't have to drive. I was going to get a better menu," Gene explained.
Shortly after the blaze broke out, 31 year old Scott Branz, who lives just a block away, was arrested.
Police say he faces burglary and criminal trespass charges among others.
His arrest was a New Year's gift for investigators. Police say Branz came back to the scene of the crime, to watch the clean up.
"Noticed an individual seemed a little suspicious wearing all dark clothing. Noticed a garbage bag at that man's feet," McAdoo Police officer Anthony Divirgilo said.
The bag police say that started a liquid trail from the bar to the bag.
Stolen booze was found inside. Police said Branz, who is on parole for an unrelated crime, broke into the bar because he wasn't allowed to drink at home, where he lives with his parents.
Branz did turn himself in, and several boxes of stolen alcohol were found at his home, according to police.
Gene's plans to re-open are now toast. He doesn't expect insurance to cover his losses.
"Best thing for me to do is tear it down, get rid of the lot," he said.
Gene thinks it's arson. But police won't comment until the investigation is complete and other suspects are found.
Visitors get to interact with the animals, including rides on the workhorses.Read More »
- Man's 'suspicious' death in Frackville ruled a homicide
- Alpine Mountain Ski area sold
- Frackville police investigating man's 'suspicious' death
- 2 people killed in fiery crash on I-81 in Schuylkill County
- Man charged in Palmerton driveway paving scam
- Schuylkill man to appear in court; accused of leaving 3 young children alone, 1 in 'cage'
- Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Countryside is making a strong comeback
- Local man takes business idea to the beach
- Purple Heart recipient gets honored Memorial Day weekend
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Catasauqua police nab armed robbery suspect
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic