JIM THORPE, Pa. - A hiker was seriously injured after falling off the trail leading to Glen Onoko Falls.
According to officials, the man fell 10-to-15 feet sometime before 4 p.m. Wednesday afternoon.
It took firefighters from four communities almost two hours to reach the victim, who officials say was from Philadelphia.
He was treated at the scene by paramedics before being transported to a trauma center.
Rescuers had to contend with snowy conditions and icy trails along with a tree that had fallen over one of the trails.
Rescue workers had to cut apart a tree to reach the victim, who they say appeared to be in his late 20s or early 30s. He suffered facial and head injuries.
There's no update on his condition.
The National Park Service will be closing River Road in Middle Smithfield Township between park headquarters and Hialeah Picnic Area to protect migrating amphibians.Read More »
- 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos
- PennDOT cracking down on 'Graffiti Highway' trespassing
- Police seize weapons from home of Horvath's father-in-law
- Public memorial service planned for Al Boscov
- Man shot, killed by Reading police after allegedly pointing shotgun at officers
- Strong storms move through the region
- Police investigating morning shooting in Reading
- Police searching for missing man in Bethlehem
- Bethlehem police searching for missing elderly man
- Judge: Man charged in deadly stabbing will remain jailed
- Police work to bring back murder suspect who fled state with 6-year-old daughter
- Police: Driver owes nearly $13,000 in unpaid tolls, fees
- Motorists seeing slightly lower gas prices in New Jersey