POTTSVILLE, Pa. - A Schuylkill County man who gave his life to his country was remembered in a memorial service Saturday.
Captain Jason Jones, originally of Orwigsburg, was killed in a fire-fight in Afghanistan on Monday.
Friends and families gathered at Pottsville United Methodist Church to mourn and share memories of their fallen hero.
Captain Justin Hendricks of the New Jersey National Guard said,: "We need to remember these people not so much for the tragedy of their death but remember them for the honor of their service. I think that's how they'd want to be remembered."
Jones served as commander of a Special Forces A-Team stationed in Fort Brag, North Carolina.
Jones, 29, is survived by his wife, parents and sister.
Police said the suspicious death of a man found in his Schuylkill County home earlier this week has been ruled a homicide.Read More »
- Alpine Mountain Ski area sold
- Frackville police investigating man's 'suspicious' death
- 2 people killed in fiery crash on I-81 in Schuylkill County
- Man charged in Palmerton driveway paving scam
- Schuylkill man to appear in court; accused of leaving 3 young children alone, 1 in 'cage'
- Stroudsburg church to begin 'organ' transplant
- Updated Former Phillies pitcher Jim Bunning Passes Away at 85
- Man's 'suspicious' death in Frackville ruled a homicide
- Body found in Schuylkill River in Cumru Township
- Passing shower this afternoon, mainly dry next two days
- Holiday travelers will encounter rising prices at the pump
- Summer recipes on the grill
- World War II veteran discusses issues faced by those returning from war
- 75-year-old man dies days after crash on Route 22
- Famed Berks wrestling coach gone, but not forgotten
- Summer getaways in the Lehigh Valley