TOBYHANNA, Pa. - A mother is facing several charges after police say they found a baby in a plastic trash bag at a Tobyhanna home where she was visiting her mother.
Police say 33-year-old Lauren Gillard is charged with concealing the death of a child, tampering with evidence, and abuse of corpse.
According to an affidavit of probable cause, police received a call from Gillard’s mother the morning of August 11, 2016 and found that Gillard, a mother of seven children, had locked herself in the upstairs bathroom.
She refused to open the door for her mother or police.
After police managed to open the door, they say they found Gillard lying on the floor in a pool of blood.
According to the police, Gillard was carefully guarding a plastic bag which prompted police to ask her what was inside.
She told the police that she hadn’t been feeling well lately and was only using the bag as headrest.
After prying the bag from Gillard, police found a full-term fem
The baby also tested positive for several drugs.
ard’s mother spoke to 69 News and said that she didn’t know that her daughter was pregnant. She said she’s currently taking care of her grandchildren.
Gillard posted bail and is expected in court March 1 for preliminary hearing.
- Pizza delivery driver shot in East Stroudsburg dies
- State Police: Trooper fires on man after he points weapon
- Neighbors of shooting victim 'devastated' by pizza delivery incident
- Pizza delivery driver ambushed, shot; 3 charged with attempted homicide
- 3, including a 17-year-old boy, charged in pizza delivery shooting
- Community takes stand against hate speech in Monroe County
- Trio of suspicious fires have Hunterdon County authorities alarmed
- Dinardo and Kratz plead not guilty to homicide charges
- Space heater to blame for fatal Schwenksville fire
- Easton PD: Man shot multiple times on W. Wilkes Barre St.
- Community celebrates Hanukkah with latke cook-off
- State Police: Schwenksville fire caused by extension cord failure
- Tiny house sending big message
- Driver killed in Alburtis train crash identified
- Fire destroys a Leesport garage
- Shop with a Cop makes kids' Christmas brighter