EAST STROUDSBURG, Pa. - One person had to jump from a second story window to escape a large house fire in Monroe County early Tuesday, officials said.
The fire broke out around 12:30 a.m. at 42 Lackawanna Ave. in East Stroudsburg.
At least five fire companies responded to the blaze, and crews are still working to put out hot spots. The fire damaged the house next door, as well.
Officials are working to determine what sparked the fire, but they told 69 News a tenant fell asleep while smoking in bed. It appears the cigarette set fire to the curtains and quickly spread.
Two people were transported to the hospital, and one suffered burns to arms and legs, officials said.
Nine people were displaced, and four row homes have been damaged.
Refresh this page for the latest in this developing story.
Crews responded to the fire in the 300 block of Fairview Street in Rush Township Saturday morning.Read More »
- Woman killed in 1-car crash going 120 mph
- Defense begins to present its case in Eric Frein trial penalty phase
- Fallen trooper's wife gives emotional testimony in trial
- Penalty phase starts in Eric Frein trial
- Schuylkill County issues temporary open burning ban
- Eric Frein found guilty, sentencing phase set to get underway
- Sunday to be milder with sun, high clouds
- President Trump will celebrate 100-day benchmark with rally in Harrisburg
- Berks man who turned life around is giving back to humane society
- Updated Man working on NFL draft stage injured after fall
- Local libraries fight to survive cuts
- Fishing event makes dreams come true
- Legendary coach honored in Kutztown
- Giant issues recall of Atkins burritos, Lay's Kettle Cooked chips
- Pennsylvania launches tax amnesty program
- Fire guts attached garage, damages home in Rush Twp.