EAST STROUDSBURG, Pa. - For 50 years Jim Andrews has worked at East Stroudsburg Hardware.
His average commute to work is about five minutes each way.
"Not bad, very easy for me," he said.
Andrews is an East Stroudsburg commuting minority. A survey by the U.S. Census Bureau shows the 10,000 residents in Monroe County have the worst commute in the country.
At 38.6 minutes it's nearly four minutes longer than No. 2 New York City and almost five minutes longer than No. 3 Washington D.C.
"I would have never believed it until I got up a month ago to drive my wife to an airport in New Jersey and encountered more of my neighbors at 4:30 in the morning getting up and leaving town then at six at night," Andrews explained.
Monroe County Commissioner John Christy says a big reason is more of those neighbors are moving to the area from the much higher priced New York City metro area.
"It's an easy 30-40 percent that travel to New York," he said.
But Christy says relief could be moving forward. Not in terms of an expanded I-80, but a rail line.
Area Congressman Matt Cartwright, an appropriations committee member, is working to secure funds that would add a train line from the Poconos into New York.
"If there's a way to get any percentage of people off the road and onto a train it helps with everything," he said.
Christy said a new study has to be updated, a study Monroe County has committed $50,000 dollars to.
Cartwright's office says the congressman is working with area businesses to help the project move forward.
In case your were wondering about the area with the shortest commute, it's Walla Walla Washington. The town is four hours southeast of Seattle and has a commute time of 15.6 minutes.
Delivery driver killed in violent robbery.Read More »
- 2 charged in ongoing burglary investigation
- East Stroudsburg Salvation Army needs a little help this year
- Thieves steal $100K from scrap metal company
- Pizza delivery driver shot in East Stroudsburg dies
- State Police: Trooper fires on man after he points weapon
- Neighbors of shooting victim 'devastated' by pizza delivery incident
- Northampton gets harsh grade from state in elder abuse casework
- Low levels in Delaware River could keep Washington's crossing re-enactors on land
- East Stroudsburg Domino's donating all Sunday's sales to murder victim's family
- Sassy Massey Toy Drive more than doubles goal of 10,000 toys
- Officers help strengthen community bond by serving a cup of joe
- Bear Creek opens slopes for season
- Christmas tree toss for charity
- Catasauqua students shop with an airport cop
- Allentown man hit, killed by vehicle while running across I-78
- Allentown man charged in shooting of ex-girlfriend, her boyfriend