DELANO TWP., Pa. - A man was killed in an accident that closed a stretch of Interstate 81 in Schuylkill County for four hours Sunday night, police said.
Emergency crews were called to the northbound lanes of I-81 in Delano Township just before 9 p.m.
They arrived to find an SUV that left the road, hit an embankment, and rolled over several times.
Both men inside were thrown outside of the SUV, one onto the left lane of I-81 and the other onto the embankment. Neither was wearing a seat belt, police said.
One of the men died at the scene, the coroner said. His name has not been released. The other man was flown to St. Luke's Hospital near Bethlehem with serious injuries.
The National Park Service will be closing River Road in Middle Smithfield Township between park headquarters and Hialeah Picnic Area to protect migrating amphibians.Read More »
- 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos
- PennDOT cracking down on 'Graffiti Highway' trespassing
- Police seize weapons from home of Horvath's father-in-law
- Updated Route 222 reopens after crash closed it for nearly six hours Friday
- Updated Safe travels, Ed: A new generation honors the Greatest
- Updated Allentown's Police Athletic League keeping kids on the right track
- Easton man charged with homicide in fatal shooting
- Woman loses more than half her body weight after 140-pound mass is removed
- Al Boscov's daughters, lifelong friend to speak at service
- Union Township woman accused of stealing from Parent Teacher Association
- "Mascots for a Cure" get down in Pottstown
- Black Bass Hotel becomes Hollywood movie set
- Family wants justice after hit-and-run leaves woman in critical condition