SUMMIT HILL, Pa. - Some Carbon County families are hoping Tuesday will be a lot less unnerving than Monday and a school was put into lockdown over rumors of violence.
Police say an emailed tip about a potential school shooting at Panther Valley High School lead them to lockdown and then dismiss students at 10 a.m.
State police and K9's then searched the school and the belongings of all students leaving the building.
“It was a time consuming process because we wanted to search each student as they left the building...anything that shouldn't be in the building wasn't taken out at that point," said Panther Valley School District Superintendent Dennis Kergick.
Police say the tipster told them that a student was planning a shooting but after investigating found there was no threat.
"The tip named a certain student and said they had two guns that they brought to school and in 7th period they were going to shoot some students," said Summit Hill Police Chief Joseph Fittos.
Police say the student in question did not send the tip in and they are looking for more information about who did.
The district says despite the lack of a threat, they decided to end school early out of an abundance of caution.
"We always take any kind of threat seriously, do our best to investigate...dismiss from the buildings," added Kergick.
Police say there will be an increased police presence at the school Tuesday but only to help alleviate any fears and not because of any threats.
Pro-gun church explains AR-15 marriage ceremony.Read More »
- New Jim-Thorpe one-dollar coins selling out fast
- Some Poconos students to relocate Wednesday due to blessing ceremony featuring AR-15s
- Pair charged in numerous robberies, thefts at Walmart stores
- Monroe County teenager dies from flu complications
- AR-15 rifles to accompany church's blessing ceremony
- 2 more facing charges in relation to ESU stabbing
- Caught on camera: Domino's workers apprehend armed robbery suspect
- Wallenpaupack School District responds to nearby church ceremony involving AR-15 rifles
- Indivisible Berks Holds Rally in Support of Unions in Preparation of Major Supreme Court Case
- Murphy promises gun control, but for now reviews policies
- Former Reading mayor Spencer's trial delayed
- Millions of BB&T customers affected by outage
- Joe Paterno movie coming to HBO
- Man arrested for domestic violence assault in Fleetwood
- Degas painting missing for 9 years found outside Paris
- Florida governor speaks out on Parkland shooting