NORTH MANHEIM TWP., Pa. - There was a shocking discovery in Schuylkill County, as Pennsylvania State Police say they found three young siblings home alone and one was locked inside a cage.
According to police, they went to the home of Cecil Kutz, 37, in the 300 block of Chestnut Street in North Manheim Township, along with a representative of Schuylkill County Children and Youth Services to check on the welfare of the three children, after receiving a tip call.
Troopers knocked on the door and did not get a response, so they went inside. According to police, the children were found just inside of the front door.
Police say a 22-month-old boy was locked inside of a homemade cage that was made out of plywood and lattice, and it had a door on it that was locked from the outside. A one-year-old boy boy was in a play pen and a one-day-old girl was found in a baby seat on the floor, police said.
EMS transported the baby girl to the hospital for evaluation.
All of the children were taken into custody by the Pennsylvania State Police and then transferred to Schuylkill County CYS.
The father, Kutz, returned to his home and was arrested by police.
He was charged with three counts of endangering the welfare of children and three counts of recklessly endangering another person.
Kutz was arraigned and his bail was set at $250,000 straight bail, which he was unable to post. He was taken to the Schuylkill County Prison.
Police say the children's mother is hospitalized with complications from the youngest child's birth. Police say she gave birth to the child in a garage-like attached shed.
Pennsylvania State Police will hold a press conference at 1 p.m. Thursday. 69 News will have a crew at the event and will bring you the latest details as they become available.
Several Jersey shore towns are notorious for requiring beach tags and now a similar trend is developing in the Poconos.Read More »
- Tobyhanna man charged with rape
- Police searching for missing Bronx man with head wound in Monroe County
- Police: Father was passed out in car while holding gun; 2 children were in back seat
- 2 arrested for attempted homicide, robbery in North Manheim
- Vatican upholds Diocese's consolidation of Panther Valley parishes
- Police: Elderly man threatens neighbor with rifle to turn down music
- Pair of Reading shooting suspects nabbed in Allentown
- City shuts down luxury Airbnb in Bethlehem
- Plastics manufacturing workers rally in Harrisburg
- Some Pocono parks consider charging non-resident fees
- Patients battling cancer receive special donation
- Chester DA announces 46 drug arrests in 'Operation Wildfire'
- Miss Fashion Week coming to Allentown
- Sojourn shows off natural resources of the Lehigh River
- Newly-elected Allentown bishop addresses parishioners
- Creator of 'Sweat' back in Reading for art installation