NORTH MANHEIM TWP., Pa. - There was a shocking discovery in Schuylkill County, as Pennsylvania State Police say they found three young siblings home alone and one was locked inside a cage.
According to police, they went to the home of Cecil Kutz, 37, in the 300 block of Chestnut Street in North Manheim Township, along with a representative of Schuylkill County Children and Youth Services to check on the welfare of the three children, after receiving a tip call.
Troopers knocked on the door and did not get a response, so they went inside. According to police, the children were found just inside of the front door.
Police say a 22-month-old boy was locked inside of a homemade cage that was made out of plywood and lattice, and it had a door on it that was locked from the outside. A one-year-old boy boy was in a play pen and a one-day-old girl was found in a baby seat on the floor, police said.
EMS transported the baby girl to the hospital for evaluation.
All of the children were taken into custody by the Pennsylvania State Police and then transferred to Schuylkill County CYS.
The father, Kutz, returned to his home and was arrested by police.
He was charged with three counts of endangering the welfare of children and three counts of recklessly endangering another person.
Kutz was arraigned and his bail was set at $250,000 straight bail, which he was unable to post. He was taken to the Schuylkill County Prison.
Police say the children's mother is hospitalized with complications from the youngest child's birth. Police say she gave birth to the child in a garage-like attached shed.
Pennsylvania State Police will hold a press conference at 1 p.m. Thursday. 69 News will have a crew at the event and will bring you the latest details as they become available.
- Man charged in Palmerton driveway paving scam
- Schuylkill man to appear in court; accused of leaving 3 young children alone, 1 in 'cage'
- Stroudsburg church to begin 'organ' transplant
- PennEast Pipeline would fuel Blue Mountain expansion
- Bird mites cleared from Lehighton High School
- Tip from Facebook staff leads to arrest of East Stroudsburg man for child porn
- Governor Wolf plans to sign Real ID law
- 2 dead in I-81 fatal crash in Schuylkill County
- Allentown program teaching kids valuable skills
- Last night for rehearsals before the 2017 Freddy's
- Oley Valley High School student killed in Ruscombmanor Twp. wreck
- State senate passes Internet gambling bill
- Lower Macungie cancer survivor raises money for research with annual event
- Bluebells not blooming at Lock Ridge Park
- New app aims to save lives in Montgomery County
- New charge for man charged in Forks Township cell phone robbery