TOBYHANNA TWP., Pa. - Authorities in Monroe County are investigating a fatal bike crash that killed a 51-year-old man Wednesday night along Route 940.
The crash between a 2003 Ford pickup and a motorized bicycle happened on Route 940 at the entrance ramp for southbound Interstate 380 in Tobyhanna Township, according to the Pocono Mountain Regional Police Department.
The crash occurred about 6:30 p.m.
Police said the pickup truck was driving east on Route 940 and pulling onto the I-380 ramp, when the bicycle struck the pickup. The bicyclist was riding west in the eastbound lane of Route 940.
The Monroe County coroner pronounced the bicyclist dead at the scene shortly after 11 p.m. An autopsy is scheduled for Thursday.
Authorities identified the bicyclist through an expired Pennsylvania ID card. They are withholding his name pending the notification of next of kin.
Police were assisted by the Tobyhanna Township Volunteer Fire Co., the Coolbough Township Volunteer Fire Department and PennDOT.
- Yuengling adds new beer to product portfolio
- ESU president announces new security measures for campus
- Wife who plotted husband's murder sentenced to 18-48 months
- Bullet found on floor at Panther Valley Junior Senior High
- Fmr. Lansford council president heads to Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition
- ESU president apologizes to student stabbed on campus
- The fourth winter storm this month to bring spring snow through Wednesday night
- Corporal Seth Kelly named "Trooper of the Year"
- NAACP, Easton community concerned about Billman firing/rehiring
- ESU women's basketball manager meets Steph Curry
- Berks couple charged after dead baby found inside apartment
- Turnpike announces restrictions due to approaching storm
- Updated Parkland enrollment up, requests more staff
- Updated Senate confirms top prosecutor for Eastern District
- Department of Labor sues East Penn Manufacturing
- Traffic restrictions, road crews in place