TOBYHANNA TWP., Pa. - Authorities in Monroe County are investigating a fatal bike crash that killed a 51-year-old man Wednesday night along Route 940.
The crash between a 2003 Ford pickup and a motorized bicycle happened on Route 940 at the entrance ramp for southbound Interstate 380 in Tobyhanna Township, according to the Pocono Mountain Regional Police Department.
The crash occurred about 6:30 p.m.
Police said the pickup truck was driving east on Route 940 and pulling onto the I-380 ramp, when the bicycle struck the pickup. The bicyclist was riding west in the eastbound lane of Route 940.
The Monroe County coroner pronounced the bicyclist dead at the scene shortly after 11 p.m. An autopsy is scheduled for Thursday.
Authorities identified the bicyclist through an expired Pennsylvania ID card. They are withholding his name pending the notification of next of kin.
Police were assisted by the Tobyhanna Township Volunteer Fire Co., the Coolbough Township Volunteer Fire Department and PennDOT.
Delivery driver killed in violent robbery.Read More »
- 2 charged in ongoing burglary investigation
- East Stroudsburg Salvation Army needs a little help this year
- Thieves steal $100K from scrap metal company
- Pizza delivery driver shot in East Stroudsburg dies
- State Police: Trooper fires on man after he points weapon
- Neighbors of shooting victim 'devastated' by pizza delivery incident
- Northampton gets harsh grade from state in elder abuse casework
- Low levels in Delaware River could keep Washington's crossing re-enactors on land
- East Stroudsburg Domino's donating all Sunday's sales to murder victim's family
- Sassy Massey Toy Drive more than doubles goal of 10,000 toys
- Officers help strengthen community bond by serving a cup of joe
- Bear Creek opens slopes for season
- Christmas tree toss for charity
- Catasauqua students shop with an airport cop
- Allentown man hit, killed by vehicle while running across I-78
- Allentown man charged in shooting of ex-girlfriend, her boyfriend