PENN FOREST TWP., Pa. - A vehicle disabled by an earlier crash was the cause of a fatal wreck early Thursday morning on the Pennsylvania Turnpike in Carbon County.
Pennsylvania State Police said the fatal wreck occurred just before 3 a.m. Thursday on Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania turnpike in Penn Forest Township between the Mahoning Valley and Route 903 exits. The crash happened in the northbound lanes.
A tractor trailer driving in the left lane collided with a 2005 Pontiac G6 that had become disabled from a crash that took place about a minute earlier, according to police.
A passenger in the Pontiac was killed in the wreck with the tractor trailer.
The highway was closed until roughly 6:20 a.m.
State police have not identified the crash victim.
Members of local corporations united to raise funds to support community services in Monroe County.Read More »
- New distribution center in Tobyhanna Twp. to create 80 jobs
- Police: Winery owners unlawfully recorded customers, employees
- Police: Owners of local winery record employees, customers without permission
- Businesses shovel out after snow blankets the Poconos
- Man goes to movies after allegedly killing Pocono Twp. couple
- Nephew charged in aunt, uncle's stabbing deaths
- Coroner called to scene of Upper Mount Bethel crash
- "Underdog" masks flying off the shelves for Eagles game
- 11-year US marshal identified as officer slain in Harrisburg
- Police officer surrenders on charges in hit-and-run crash
- Democratic candidates give views on single-payer health care
- Northampton borough tables rentals ordinance
- Crews, machines ready to take on potholes
- Berks law enforcement standing strong in support of fallen officer
- Changes to Da Vinci Center prompt questions from county
- Forks Township supervisors table zoning hearing on proposed apartments