COOLBAUGH TWP., Pa - Pennsylvania State Police say a suspected drunk driver, who was going the wrong way, caused a multi-vehicle crash on Interstate 380 in Monroe County early Monday morning.
Police say Sam Pontillo, 32, of Tobyhanna, was allegedly under the influence and driving his Volvo the wrong way on Interstate 380 North around 12:45 a.m., near Coolbaugh Township. Pontillo was seriously injured in the crash and was trapped in the vehicle with several broken bones. He was flown to Lehigh Valley Cedar Crest for treatment, according to police.
Police say Sierra McPhillips, 18, of Scranton, was driving her Audi and tried to avoid being hit head-on by Pontillo and swerved into the right lane, where she struck a tractor trailer. McPhillips was shaken but police say she only suffered minor injuries. She was taken to CMC Hospital in Scranton.
The tractor trailer sustained minor damage, but the driver was not injured, according to police.
Interstate 380 North was shut down for about an hour while police investigated the crash.
Police say they detected alcohol on Pontillo's breath and assumed it played a role in the crash. Blood results are pending.
- Pizza delivery driver shot in East Stroudsburg dies
- State Police: Trooper fires on man after he points weapon
- Neighbors of shooting victim 'devastated' by pizza delivery incident
- Pizza delivery driver ambushed, shot; 3 charged with attempted homicide
- 3, including a 17-year-old boy, charged in pizza delivery shooting
- Community takes stand against hate speech in Monroe County
- Light snow expected later today especially south and east
- Space heater to blame for fatal Schwenksville fire
- Trio of suspicious fires have Hunterdon County authorities alarmed
- Dinardo and Kratz plead not guilty to homicide charges
- Easton PD: Man shot multiple times on W. Wilkes Barre St.
- Community celebrates Hanukkah with latke cook-off
- State Police: Schwenksville fire caused by extension cord failure
- Updated NorCo Council narrowly OKs State Theatre funding
- Updated Bethlehem planners define what it means to be a hotel
- Fire destroys a Leesport garage