COOLBAUGH TWP., Pa - Pennsylvania State Police say a suspected drunk driver, who was going the wrong way, caused a multi-vehicle crash on Interstate 380 in Monroe County early Monday morning.
Police say Sam Pontillo, 32, of Tobyhanna, was allegedly under the influence and driving his Volvo the wrong way on Interstate 380 North around 12:45 a.m., near Coolbaugh Township. Pontillo was seriously injured in the crash and was trapped in the vehicle with several broken bones. He was flown to Lehigh Valley Cedar Crest for treatment, according to police.
Police say Sierra McPhillips, 18, of Scranton, was driving her Audi and tried to avoid being hit head-on by Pontillo and swerved into the right lane, where she struck a tractor trailer. McPhillips was shaken but police say she only suffered minor injuries. She was taken to CMC Hospital in Scranton.
The tractor trailer sustained minor damage, but the driver was not injured, according to police.
Interstate 380 North was shut down for about an hour while police investigated the crash.
Police say they detected alcohol on Pontillo's breath and assumed it played a role in the crash. Blood results are pending.
The incident was reported around midnight Sunday.Read More »
- Benefit basketball game played to honor former Schuylkill Valley student
- Coroner called to crash in West Penn Township
- 66-year-old stabbed by juvenile, ruled a homicide
- Stroudsburg teen immerses herself in Irish dancing
- Allentown men charged after fatal crash involving stolen van
- St. Luke's weight management program comes to Monroe County
- Updated Sunshine followed by clouds Monday, with highs in the mid 40s
- Family, neighbors react to Amy Yu's return to Allentown, Kevin Esterly's arrest
- Local artist commemorates Eagles Championship Parade with unique print
- Woman dies almost one year after being involved in South Whitehall car crash
- Updated Tractor-trailer rolls on Route 33 ramp to I-78
- Updated Person on motorized wheelchair hit by car in Easton
- Updated Fire tears through home in Moore Township
- 2 injured in DUI crash in Berks County
- Multiple crews battle large fire at former Trainers Inn in Carbon County
- Updated Man arrested after stabbing neighbor multiple times in Easton