POTTSVILLE, Pa. - A Schuylkill County boy is fighting for his life following a bizarre accident involving a boulder.
Michael Allen's family said he was playing near the bottom of a hill off Mount Hope Road, near his home, Thursday evening when a boulder from above somehow got loose and rolled right into him.
Michael was flown to Lehigh Valley Hospital near Allentown, where he has undergone several surgeries. He is in a medically induced coma.
Michael's grandfather told 69 News it's just too raw, too emotional to talk about what happened.
The principal of Michael's school, John S. Clark Elementary, said he wishes Michael nothing but the best.
"Very quiet, very quiet, almost bashful. Polite. He's not one to yell and scream. Just a real nice little boy," said Pat Kelly, a lunch aide at the school.
Michael's grandfather said he was set to start his first season of little league. The family is now hoping for a medical home run that sends Michael back home soon.
The National Park Service will be closing River Road in Middle Smithfield Township between park headquarters and Hialeah Picnic Area to protect migrating amphibians.Read More »
- 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos
- PennDOT cracking down on 'Graffiti Highway' trespassing
- Police seize weapons from home of Horvath's father-in-law
- Public memorial service planned for Al Boscov
- Windy and much cooler today, but seasonable for late February
- 'Light the Way' celebration recognizes trailblazers in the community
- N.J. Rep. Leonard Lance holds second town hall meeting
- Local vineyard owners wary of warm weather
- Updated Man shot, killed by Reading police after allegedly pointing shotgun at officers
- Strong storms move through the region
- Police investigating morning shooting in Reading
- Judge: Man charged in deadly stabbing will remain jailed
- Police work to bring back murder suspect who fled state with 6-year-old daughter