STROUDSBURG, Pa. - Ramsey Elementary school will remain closed following a ruling by Judge Charles C. Brown, Monday.
A decision by the Stroudsburg Area School district in May to close Clearview and Ramsey elementary schools drew controversy and anger from parents.
Despite the board's explanation at the time that its hands were tied...due to declining enrollment and chronic deficits, parents filed a motion to keep the school open.
Superintendent Dr. John Toleno confirmed Monday that arguments were heard in Centre County Court regarding the filing of the motion for a preliminary injunction which would reopen Ramsey Elementary.
Judge Brown heard the case Tuesday, but denied the motion and so the school will remain closed.
Toleno said the district was pleased with the ruling.
Attorney Janet Jackson, who represented the parents, said they were sad about the loss of the school but "we also appreciated the time and consideration Judge Brown gave to the case even though the ruling was disappointing," Jackson said.
She called the ruling "a major setback" in their efforts to reopen the school.
Authorities say in late April the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children got a tip from Facebook staff about a Facebook user trading child pornography with other users through Facebook’s private messaging service.Read More »
- Leiby's reopens in Tamaqua
- Schuylkill mom says welfare officials okay with 'cage'
- Truck goes off cliff, lands on railroad tracks
- Bushkill Township officer accused of covering up wife's affair with boy
- Schuylkill mom of 3 says 'cage' was actually protective playpen
- 19-year-old poised to be Tamaqua's next mayor
- Updated Clerk shot in Whitehall robbery listed in stable condition
- Updated Cosby 'holding up' as jury pick gets underway
- Updated Police: Group busted in Berks suspects in other East Coast thefts
- Updated DA: Man mocks, assaults person with cerebral palsy
- Updated Coroner identifies body found under Linden Street Bridge
- Updated Buckeye Tavern reopens 2 years after devastating fire
- Montgomery County launches app to help those in need of CPR
- Cooler and cloudy this afternoon with areas of rain and fog
- BUSH to rock Sands Event Center this summer
- Easton's Common Space Kitchen gives food entrepreneurs a launching point