STROUDSBURG, Pa. - Jury selection has been completed for a retired pastor accused of killing both of his wives.
Arthur Schirmer is charged with killing Betty Jean Schirmer in 2008 and staging a car accident to cover it up.
A series of events that year made investigators suspicious of Schirmer and the story he was telling about how Betty Jean died, officials said.
First, one of Schirmer's parishioners killed himself at Reeders United Methodist Church, claiming Schirmer was having an affair with the man's wife.
Then, investigators learned Betty Jean was the second Schirmer wife who died in an accident. The first, Jewel, died in Lebanon County a decade earlier.
Schirmer, now 64, said both deaths were accidents, claiming he and Betty Jean crashed their car trying to avoid a deer on Route 715 in Pocono Township.
Investigators, however, said the car was going only 25 miles an hour, and Betty Jean's blood was found in the church garage.
Lebanon County investigators kept a close eye on the Monroe County case. After Schirmer was charged in Betty Jean's death, Lebanon County investigators started digging deeper, too.
Jewel died in 1999 after falling down a staircase in the couple's Lebanon County home. Late last year, a Lebanon County grand jury heard new testimony about alleged infidelity and financial problems and saw new forensic tests that claimed Jewel's injuries were not consistent with falling down the stairs.
Schirmer was charged in Jewel's death and is scheduled to stand trial in Lebanon County in March.
A panel of 12 jurors and four alternates was chosen in Monroe County on Monday. Opening statements are expected Tuesday in Stroudsburg.
A Saylorsburg man will be charged, after police say they caught him driving under the influence with his child in the carRead More »
- Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos
- PennDOT cracking down on 'Graffiti Highway' trespassing
- Police seize weapons from home of Horvath's father-in-law
- Police: Mom caught with meth, heroin, marijuana
- 3 accused of stealing $1,700 in merchandise from Mahoning Walmart
- 2 killed in Paradise Twp. motorcycle crash
- Updated Sunoco building 2 pipelines, not just 1 across Pennsylvania
- Man accused of stabbing wife, daughter-in-law in Allentown
- Updated Record-challenging warmth today; close to records Friday
- Updated Coroner called to crash on Interstate 176 in Caernarvon
- Chicago to rock Musikfest this summer
- Updated Philly mayor: $5.7M beverage tax haul doubles projections
- Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- Life Lessons: Raising a tech entrepreneur
- Easton adopts 20-year comprehensive plan
- Lehigh County supports anti-gerrymandering bill