ORWIGSBURG, Pa. - On the playground, the fun of recess isn't always so fun.
"Kids pushing each other, saying can't play in games," fourth grader Ryan Gherghel said when asked if he sees bullying.
So Blue Mountain Elementary in Orwigsburg, Schuylkill County is relying on a bench to battle bullying.
"If you're lonely or need a friend you can go sit there," fourth grader Madison Swick explained.
"If nice kids come by and see kids sitting there they would ask them to come over and play in their games and what's wrong," Gherghel went on to say.
It's called a buddy bench; the goal being to end playground loneliness.
"Gives them a tool to use where to say hey here is someone who feels left out. Let's go see what they need and be a good friend," parent Jessica Swick said.
Outside of a school in York, Blue Mountain doesn't know of any other playground that has the buddy bench.
Hopes are the idea spreads to other schools throughout the state.
The bench is part of a character building curriculum.
The school's Eagle Way program, teaches honesty, respect and responsibility.
Blue Mountain was also the first school in the state to bring in Boosterthon, a national morale-boosting program.
"Asking students to think about their actions ahead of time. If make mistakes take responsibility for these actions and show their respect," assistant principal Kristin Frederick said.
The plan seems to be working.
The trial of Phil Leone, the ex-Bangor councilman accused of sexual abuse of children, has begun according to a Northampton County court administrator.Read More »
- Reproduction of mural fills void of original in Lehighton
- East Stroudsburg needs $1.8 million for dam repairs
- NPS to close River Rd. in Middle Smithfield to protect migrating amphibians
- 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- Allentown hit-and-run victim dies week after incident
- Time to get your fill of fastnachts
- Updated Nearly record warmth today and tomorrow with a few showers
- Road Blocks - Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Updated It's Fastnacht Day in Pennsylvania
- Updated Allentown police arrest unwelcome guest outside apartment building
- Man allegedly tries to head-butt arresting officers, damages patrol car
- Man tells police he stole mom's money as she slept
- Allentown man charged in connection with robbery and shooting
- Police: Nurse recorded videos of naked patients