WEST BRUNSWICK TWP., Pa. - A 3-year-old girl has become the second child to die after being involved in a car accident on Route 61 in Schuylkill County on Sunday.
Catrina Williams died Monday afternoon at Lehigh Valley Hospital near Allentown, according to the Lehigh County coroner's office.
Her sister, 6-year-old Carianna Kroh, died at the same hospital on Sunday after being flown there from the scene of the accident on Route 61, near South Liberty Street, in West Brunswick Township.
It happened around 11:30 a.m., as Victoria Place was driving her daughters out of the Faith Church parking lot, police said.
Church members say Place and her daughters had attended church service on Palm Sunday.
"As it pulled out of the parking lot of Faith Church, there was a car traveling southbound that swerved to the right and struck the car pulling out of the church in the left side," said Tpr. David Beohm, Pa. State Police.
Place, 27, of Minersville, was last listed in stable condition at Lehigh Valley Hospital.
The family's neighbors and loved ones placed flowers and candles at a makeshift memorial in front of Place's home.
"It's very emotional," said Joan Dixon, a family friend. "I lost a child myself 20 years ago, but sometimes it feels like yesterday. I know what she's going through. It breaks my heart."
"It was devastating," said Jan-Michael Colna, neighbor. "It's definitely heartbreaking for that family."
The driver of the other vehicle involved in the accident was a 17-year-old boy from Schuylkill Haven, police said.
He was also hospitalized, official said, but neither his condition nor his identity has been released.
Reconstruction experts are currently reviewing evidence from the crash site, authorities said.
The National Park Service will be closing River Road in Middle Smithfield Township between park headquarters and Hialeah Picnic Area to protect migrating amphibians.Read More »
- 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos
- PennDOT cracking down on 'Graffiti Highway' trespassing
- Police seize weapons from home of Horvath's father-in-law
- Updated Cosby to ask judge for outside jury for criminal trial
- Updated Warming trend to start the week, but a few showers return tomorrow
- Albert Boscov remembered during memorial service
- Updated Flemington man sentenced for child pornography
- Life Lessons: Swimming helps asthma
- Boscov: An American Story
- Strong storms, winds leave damage across the region
- Cold and calm overnight under mainly clear skies
- Cell phone store robbed at gunpoint
- Lehigh Valley Heart Ball raises money for American Heart Association