SHENANDOAH, Pa. - Officials in Schuylkill County are trying to figure out what caused a four-story building to come toppling down Friday afternoon.
Crews were called to the 200 block of North White Street in Shenandoah around 4 p.m.
"They said it sounded like thunder and because a storm had gone through, they didn't believe it was the building, but wow, yes it is," said Barbara Kilker, whose brother lives across the street.
A neighboring home was damaged by some of the bricks.
Officials have not yet assessed the damage.
Fire crews tell 69 News the building has been vacant for more than 20 years.
It was previously a carpet store and appliance shop.
About five years ago, the roof caved in.
Some said they've worried about the stability of the building ever since.
"I was sitting on the porch thinking what a shame we're still looking at this," Kilker said.
Officials asked seven families to leave the block until the building is demolished.
A portion of the street was also closed.
No word on when the building will be torn down.
Firefighters battled a three-alarm fire in Schuylkill County Wednesday.Read More »
- Convicted cop killer Eric Frein sentenced to death
- Minersville fire damages multiple homes
- Eric Frein sentenced to death
- Officials warn of 'Narcan parties'
- Closing arguments end in penalty phase of police ambush killer
- Eric Frein laughed about selling story in recorded phone call
- Updated Convicted cop killer Eric Frein sentenced to death
- Updated Robbery suspect may be linked to other holdups, police say
- NFL Draft kicks off in Philadelphia
- Updated Arts Around Town: Allentown JazzFest joins with Allentown Art Museum in diverse programming
- Updated Possible lethal batch of heroin leads to 6 overdoses, 1 deadly in Easton
- Clouds and some sunshine today as a big-time warm-up gets underway
- Updated Tractor trailer catches fire at Rt. 22 and Schoenersville Rd. in Bethlehem
- Ex-Penn St officials to be sentenced in June over Sandusky
- Allentown police arrest 3 for passing fake checks
- Updated Police: Suspect in killing of Delaware trooper shot dead