TOBYHANNA TWP., Pa. - Police took a lot of heroin off the streets Friday night when they arrested 38 year of William Harris in Tobyhanna Township, Monroe County.
According to court records, a trooper noticed several things wrong after pulling Harris over and then asked to search the vehicle driven by Harris.
After receiving consent, police found 2,000 bags of heroin in the engine compartment.
State police say they are stepping up efforts to catch these drug traffickers as they drive through the Keystone state.
"Drugs have always been a very dangerous problem for the citizens of Pennsylvania," said Trooper Adam Reed, public information officer for the Pennsylvania State Police Department. "But lately we have been seeing an uptick in cases involving heroin."
Police say drug trafficking along the Interstate is on the rise, but so are their arrests, and that law enforcement on all levels are making more of an effort to look for these types of offenders.
"Our troopers are very active in patrolling the roadways, looking for shipments of drugs in vehicles," said Reed. "We are at airports and other things looking for packages contain drugs as well."
In 2013, the Pennsylvania State Police seized 62 pounds of heroin.
So far in the first quarter of 2014, troopers have seized 37.6 pounds of the drug, which means getting more troopers on the Interstate is working according to state police.
"We're really proud of our efforts so far this year and I'm sure that number is going to keep climbing," added Reed.
Willam Harris is currently in the Monroe County prison with bail set at $100,000.
The trial of Phil Leone, the ex-Bangor councilman accused of sexual abuse of children, has begun according to a Northampton County court administrator.Read More »
- Reproduction of mural fills void of original in Lehighton
- East Stroudsburg needs $1.8 million for dam repairs
- NPS to close River Rd. in Middle Smithfield to protect migrating amphibians
- 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- Allentown hit-and-run victim dies week after incident
- Time to get your fill of fastnachts
- Updated Nearly record warmth today and tomorrow with a few showers
- Road Blocks - Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Updated It's Fastnacht Day in Pennsylvania
- Updated Allentown police arrest unwelcome guest outside apartment building
- Man allegedly tries to head-butt arresting officers, damages patrol car
- Man tells police he stole mom's money as she slept
- Allentown man charged in connection with robbery and shooting
- Police: Nurse recorded videos of naked patients