STROUDSBURG, Pa. - Stroudsburg Mayor Tarah Probst announced she will run for Pennsylvania Senate in 2018.
Probst announced last week her bid for the 40th District, which includes Monroe and Northampton counties.
She was elected as the borough's first female mayor two years ago, and was recently re-elected to another four-year term.
"I have worked diligently to bring many positive changes to our town and to our region, and I have decided to run for higher office in order to do more for the citizens of our region," Probst said in a press release.
The seat is currently held by Pennsylvania Sen. Mario Scavello.
- East Stroudsburg Salvation Army needs a little help this year
- Thieves steal $100K from scrap metal company
- Pizza delivery driver shot in East Stroudsburg dies
- State Police: Trooper fires on man after he points weapon
- Neighbors of shooting victim 'devastated' by pizza delivery incident
- Pizza delivery driver ambushed, shot; 3 charged with attempted homicide
- 2 charged in Monroe burglaries
- PHOTOS: Ribbon cutting ceremony on Kenhorst Boulevard
- History's Headlines: Christmas constroversy
- Valley Forge Baptist Academy handbell choir performs Christmas classics
- Spirit of Giving: Allentown Rescue Mission
- Raszler defense attorney requests evidence from Horvath trial
- Like a real-life Hoth, Star Wars fans brave the snow
- Ashley's Angels making Christmas miracles in Berks County
- APD vs. BPD in a Christmas tree throw for charity
- Bethlehem police: Man shoots ex-girlfriend, her new boyfriend