SCHUYLKILL HAVEN, Pa. - It was a first attempt at film-making for a group of 8th graders at Schuylkill Haven High School in Schuylkill County who are participating in the annual "What's So Cool About Manufacturing" competition, which teaches kids about jobs in manufacturing.
Students learn about video production and other jobs that could await them after graduation.
"We had to come up with ideas, and then we had to spend a lot of time filming and editing," said student Amanda Guers.
"It educated me more on what it was about, because I didn't really know what it was about," explained Kira Brish, another student who worked on the project.
The statewide competition was created by the Manufacturing Resources Center in Allentown and brings together students' short films to receive awards at the DoubleTree Hotel in Reading.
"I think we're going to do good and win at least one of the awards," said Guers.
The group's focus this year was FabCon, a concrete wall creator in Mahanoy City.
"I'd say it's a great opportunity for the students to get out there and find out what manufacturing is all about. They may go into video production. They may go into manufacturing," said Matt Horoschak, the school's principal.
Regardless of what lies ahead career-wise, students like Jacob Gilbert said they most enjoyed working as a team.
"Just having fun with friends and having fun working with other people," he said.
Beginning April 19, residents can order from their choice of retailers, such as CVS and GIANT, using Instacart.Read More »
- Volunteers undertake massive cleanup of Pocono Creek
- 1 killed, 2 hurt in Monroe County DUI crash
- Lehigh Gap Nature Center conducts controlled burning on Blue Mountain
- Traffic stop turns into police finding over $68K worth of meth
- Firefighters battle brush fire in West Penn Township
- Tip leads to drug bust in St. Clair; Reading men behind bars
- A cold start Wednesday morning, then a warmer afternoon, plenty of sunshine
- Southwest flight victim was Albuquerque bank executive, mother of 2
- "The Handmaid's Tale" author speaks at NCC
- Man, 26, killed when SUV crashes into tree, catches fire near Geigertown
- Updated Southern Lehigh, Emmaus lacrosse cancer fundraiser this weekend
- Effort to beautify Wilson Borough planned for Saturday
- Updated Berks County company purchasing 6 casinos
- State legislator has fond memories of Barbara Bush
- Cumru approves 10-lot neighborhood
- GOP gubernatorial candidate outlines his agenda