TAMAQUA, Pa. - A Schuylkill County man and woman are being charged in the death of their infant.
To make matters worse, police say it's a situation that could easily have been prevented.
February 5, police were dispatched to a Tamaqua, Schuylkill County home.
Court papers say inside they found any parent's worst nightmare: a six-week-old baby boy not breathing and unresponsive.
"Chaos, chaos. Other kids were in the house and they were screaming and carrying on," neighbor Barbara Francis said of that night.
The baby later died.
Police say he suffocated while sleeping in the same bed as his parents, 22-year-old Joe Kuhla and 23-year-old Alyssa Shellhammer, and the couples' three other children.
Court papers say one of those kids had been lying on top of the infant's stomach.
Both parents are being charged with several counts of endangering the welfare of a child and reckless endangerment of another person.
"Infant in danger if more than one people are sleeping there," pediatrician Dr. Mira Slizovsky said.
She said no child under the age of one should ever be in the same bed as adults.
"The baby can suffocate mechanically, be strangled mechanically," she added.
Court papers go on to say the couple initially told the police the baby boy was in a pack-and-play next to the bed.
Police also say both parents didn't want to go with the ambulance and were not in the hospital when their boy was pronounced dead.
Neighbors told us the home was an unsafe environment for kids.
"Cops were called pretty often. Four to five times I've seen them there," neighbor Josh Moyer said.
Francis said she's called the police on the couple several times.
Tamaqua Police would only say they've been to the house numerous times.
The couple has since moved from the home.
A jury is expected to begin weighing the sentence for a gunman who targeted Pennsylvania state troopers at their barracks, killing one and leaving a second with devastating injuries.Read More »
- Eric Frein laughed about selling story in recorded phone call
- Police ambush killer won't take stand in bid to spare life
- Fire destroys home in Schuylkill Township
- Shenandoah Sentinel creator has big plans
- Eric Frein's father, mother testify during penalty phase
- BonTon carries Pottsville pottery-maker's products
- 2 women in critical condition after crash near Dorney Park
- Jury to begin weighing sentence for police ambush killer
- Updated Motorcycle collides with vehicle in Bath, injuries reported
- Person of interest sought in shooting of 2 men in Reading
- Police: DUI suspect twice the legal limit with kids in car
- State report finds New Jersey teens should start school later
- 2 stores in Cumru robbed at gunpoint
- Updated Rollover crash reported on I-78 in Lower Saucon
- Updated Clouds and some sun with a sprinkle in spots; turning milder this afternoon
- Christie to mark prescription drug disposal event