STROUDSBURG, Pa. - A teenager in Monroe County is lucky to be alive, after she jumped from a burning building Monday afternoon.
Officials said the 16-year-old was trapped inside an attic bedroom of a house at Lower Main and Second streets in Stroudsburg.
Zujey Rivera was cleaning the home on second street when the fire erupted just before 1 p.m.
"I just kind of freaked out. I didn't want to leave her in there. I was like, 'We have to get her out somehow, some way,'" Rivera said.
She tried everything she could to rescue the teen, but struggled against a wall fire.
"It was on the walls, it was just going up. everything was just going up," Rivera said.
But seemingly out of nowhere, came the help they needed.
Glenn Thomas was on his way home from the grocery store when he came across the fire.
"I just seen her hanging out the top of a three story window. There was smoke coming out," Thomas said.
Thomas dropped everything to help her down.
"I was just like, 'alright, I got you.' I went under and put my hand out. And she just let herself go and I grabbed her," Thomas said.
Officials said it was about a 25-foot drop.
Though she dropped from a third floor window to the ground, the teen's only injuries were reportedly from wounds suffered when smashing the window.
She was soon taken to a hospital.
EMS officials tell us she's expected to be okay.
Firefighters are still trying to figure out what caused the fire.
A Schuylkill County man was arrested over the weekend, after police say he fired his gun near his neighbor's family gathering.Read More »
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic
- Man's 'suspicious' death in Frackville ruled a homicide
- Alpine Mountain Ski area sold
- Frackville police investigating man's 'suspicious' death
- 2 people killed in fiery crash on I-81 in Schuylkill County
- Man charged in Palmerton driveway paving scam
- Health Beat: 5 ways to protect your eyes from aging
- Fallen heroes honored at City Park in Reading
- Memorial Day celebrations in Berks County
- Police in Berks County investigating discovery of ATM skimmer
- A shower/some drizzle this afternoon
- Authorities ID victim in fatal Penn Township crash
- Nazareth woman dies days after being struck by vehicle
- Man tells Allentown police he was stabbed in the back while walking along the street
- Walker Twp. man arrested for firing gun near neighbor's family gathering
- Life Lessons: The nurse who paints her patients