WEST BRUNSWICK TWP., Pa. - Three local men were indicted by a federal grand jury Wednesday in connection with an April 2011 bank robbery.
The U.S. Attorney's Office said Quamaine Smith-Tisdale, 22, Justin Smith, 20, and Orlando Velez, Jr., 23, all from Reading, were indicted for an armed bank robbery that occurred in Schuylkill County on April 18,2011.
At the time of the incident, police said two men entered the Union Bank and Trust Company in West Brunswick Township brandishing guns.
One suspect went to the vault, the other to the teller, and demanded money from the vault and drawer.
The trio was able to escape the bank, but were unable to avoid police much longer. They were chased by police from West Brunswick Township all the way down Route 61 into Hamburg, at times exceeding 100 mph.
At the time, police also said Smith had been wearing a bullet proof vest.
All three have been charged with conspiracy. Velez, Jr., has also been charged with being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm.
According to the U.S. Attorney's Office, if they are convicted, they would face a maximum penalty of 25 years in prison, followed by five years of supervised release and a $250,000 fine.
A deadly accident has shut down I-81 northbound, near Frackville, in Schuylkill County.Read More »
- Man charged in Palmerton driveway paving scam
- Schuylkill man to appear in court; accused of leaving 3 young children alone, 1 in 'cage'
- Stroudsburg church to begin 'organ' transplant
- PennEast Pipeline would fuel Blue Mountain expansion
- Bird mites cleared from Lehighton High School
- Tip from Facebook staff leads to arrest of East Stroudsburg man for child porn
- Updated Governor Wolf plans to sign Real ID law
- Fatal crash closes I-81 northbound near Frackville
- Updated State senate passes Internet gambling bill
- Updated Lower Macungie cancer survivor raises money for research with annual event
- Updated Bluebells not blooming at Lock Ridge Park
- Updated New app aims to save lives in Montgomery County
- New charge for man charged in Forks Township cell phone robbery
- One Tank Trip: Coach #72 at WK&S Railroad in Kempton
- 2 counselors overdose and die at Chester Co. halfway house
- Former BCIU director, RSD superintendent enters race for Congress