STROUDSBURG, Pa. - The attempt to apprehend a wanted man began with a foot chase and carjacking and ended with the pursuit and crash of another vehicle.
The series of incidents began shortly after 9 a.m. Monday outside the Monroe County Courthouse in Stroudsburg.
Stroud Area Regional police officers were dispatched to Sixth and Sarah streets for a reported carjacking.Map: Monroe County Courthouse
Sheriff's officers said they attempted to arrest Anthony J. McGuire on an active warrant when he fled on foot.
During the chase, McGuire stopped to force someone out of a UGI truck at Sixth and Sarah streets and drove off, according to police.
Officers said they later found the stolen UGI truck in Big Pine Park in Stroud Township and learned that McGuire took a 2011 Honda Accord from a nearby associate's home while its owner was otherwise occupied.
McGuire was later arrested after a pursuit and crash, according to police, who could provide no further details about the apprehension.
McGuire, 32, of Scranton, is facing charges of robbery of a motor vehicle, robbery, flight to avoid apprehension and unauthorized use of automobiles.
Visitors get to interact with the animals, including rides on the workhorses.Read More »
- Man's 'suspicious' death in Frackville ruled a homicide
- Alpine Mountain Ski area sold
- Frackville police investigating man's 'suspicious' death
- 2 people killed in fiery crash on I-81 in Schuylkill County
- Man charged in Palmerton driveway paving scam
- Schuylkill man to appear in court; accused of leaving 3 young children alone, 1 in 'cage'
- Updated Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Catasauqua store robbed at gunpoint
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic
- Package that led to Newark airport evacuation deemed safe
- Fire destroys barn in Lehigh Twp.
- Artvana could take the place of former Mayfair Festival