STROUDSBURG, Pa. - The attempt to apprehend a wanted man began with a foot chase and carjacking and ended with the pursuit and crash of another vehicle.
The series of incidents began shortly after 9 a.m. Monday outside the Monroe County Courthouse in Stroudsburg.
Stroud Area Regional police officers were dispatched to Sixth and Sarah streets for a reported carjacking.Map: Monroe County Courthouse
Sheriff's officers said they attempted to arrest Anthony J. McGuire on an active warrant when he fled on foot.
During the chase, McGuire stopped to force someone out of a UGI truck at Sixth and Sarah streets and drove off, according to police.
Officers said they later found the stolen UGI truck in Big Pine Park in Stroud Township and learned that McGuire took a 2011 Honda Accord from a nearby associate's home while its owner was otherwise occupied.
McGuire was later arrested after a pursuit and crash, according to police, who could provide no further details about the apprehension.
McGuire, 32, of Scranton, is facing charges of robbery of a motor vehicle, robbery, flight to avoid apprehension and unauthorized use of automobiles.
The National Park Service will be closing River Road in Middle Smithfield Township between park headquarters and Hialeah Picnic Area to protect migrating amphibians.Read More »
- 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos
- PennDOT cracking down on 'Graffiti Highway' trespassing
- Police seize weapons from home of Horvath's father-in-law
- Public memorial service planned for Al Boscov
- Man shot, killed by Reading police after allegedly pointing shotgun at officers
- Strong storms move through the region
- Police investigating morning shooting in Reading
- Police searching for missing man in Bethlehem
- Bethlehem police searching for missing elderly man
- Judge: Man charged in deadly stabbing will remain jailed
- Police work to bring back murder suspect who fled state with 6-year-old daughter
- Police: Driver owes nearly $13,000 in unpaid tolls, fees
- Motorists seeing slightly lower gas prices in New Jersey