PALMERTON BOROUGH, Pa. - A woman has been arrested for allegedly killing her mother with a crossbow.
State Police say authorities were contacted by family members of Sandra Marie Barndt, 71, of Palmerton Borough, who were concerned for her welfare.
The family said they had not heard from Barndt since Wednesday, September 27.
When police responded to the home at 716 1st Street Friday around 1:45 p.m. they say they found Barndt’s body.
Police say Barndt’s daughter, Lisa Marie Caplan, 51, shot her mother with a crossbow after an argument, killing her.
Caplan is charged with criminal homicide.
Attorney Jon Ostroff, who told 69 News he is representing Caplan until a public defender can be assigned, says Caplan has a “long-standing history of severe mental illness, including chronic schizophrenia.”
"Ms. Caplan remains unable to comprehend what she has been charged with doing. If not for the failure of a broken mental health system, the death of her mother and this nightmare for her family, would not have occurred," said Ostroff.
Ostroff says Caplan has been in and out of mental health facilities for decades during which he says she has been a danger to herself and her family.
Ostroff says Caplan was recently released from a psychiatric institution, a development he calls a “failure of the mental health system.”
Caplan’s preliminary hearing is set for October 11, 2017.
The robbery occurred at 5:00 p.m. at Dutch's Market in Greene Township.Read More »
- Crews battle stubborn Blue Mountain brush fire
- Coroner identifies woman found dead in Monroe County
- Police investigate body found in Monroe County
- 5 Schuylkill County boroughs, townships nominated as Opportunity Zones
- Air pistol, pocket knife found on Pottsville Area HS student
- 6 face felony charges in relation to stealing $336K from Pa. agency
- State police searching for man who committed armed robbery in Pike County
- Easton, Lewisburg residents winners in the 2018 St. Luke's Half Marathon
- A spectacular couple of days ahead
- Memorial service set for woman killed in Southwest flight
- People go back to the 80's to raise money for American Red Cross
- Several hurt after fire levels detached garage in Berks County
- Pennsylvania Game Commission to conduct controlled fire in Berks, Schuylkill Counties Sunday
- Hundreds of volunteers participate in Reading's Great American Clean Up
- Volunteers plant trees in Wilson
- Bethlehem Area School District dance marathon raises money for pediatric patients