SMITHFIELD TWP., Pa. - Warning signs of a kid-heavy population greet drivers in a neighborhood in Smithfield Township, Monroe County.
"See a lot of school bus kids waiting, with parents dropping them off waiting," said resident Bob Porcelan. "Sometimes, there's 20 to 30 kids waiting for the bus."
The signs, however, couldn't stop a driver from hitting three students as they walked to a bus stop Tuesday morning.
The accident happened at Common Court, in the Milford Commons development, a crowded bus stop in the East Stroudsburg Area School District.
The Marshalls Creek fire chief, who was on scene, said the woman behind the wheel couldn't see because of the rain and fog.
He said three kids were hit in the leg, suffering non-life threatening injuries, and the woman stopped and cooperated with authorities.
The school district said the students are believed to have been hit while walking to the bus stop. The district said it's one of the safest pickup spots in the area, as it was moved from Route 209 to a carved-out jug handle for students.
Neighbor Alden Wright, however, said drivers need to be more careful.
"Dark at that time in the morning. People really can't see; traffic in and out, people going to work, always kids walking the dark," Wright said.
Pro-gun church explains AR-15 marriage ceremony.Read More »
- New Jim-Thorpe one-dollar coins selling out fast
- Some Poconos students to relocate Wednesday due to blessing ceremony featuring AR-15s
- Pair charged in numerous robberies, thefts at Walmart stores
- Monroe County teenager dies from flu complications
- AR-15 rifles to accompany church's blessing ceremony
- 2 more facing charges in relation to ESU stabbing
- Parkland schools to reopen Monday after bus garage fire
- Caught on camera: Domino's workers apprehend armed robbery suspect
- Wet weekend weather continues with steady rain this morning
- Wallenpaupack School District responds to nearby church ceremony involving AR-15 rifles
- Indivisible Berks Holds Rally in Support of Unions in Preparation of Major Supreme Court Case
- Updated People pay final respects to Reverend Billy Graham
- Lower Macungie fire causes heavy damage to attached garage
- Murphy promises gun control, but for now reviews policies
- Former Reading mayor Spencer's trial delayed
- Man arrested for domestic violence assault in Fleetwood