MIDDLE SMITHFIELD TWP., Pa. - Flames shot out from the roof of the former Fernwood Resort in Middle Smithfield Township.
"Our first engine arrived within 10 minutes, found a working fire, a fire through the roof spreading throughout the building," said Alex Dipaolo.
Bushkill Fire Company Chief Alex Dipaolo says the call came in around 9 p.m. Sunday night. It took 100 firefighters from 15 different companies about two hours to contain the fire.
The building collapsed, but Dipaolo says no one was inside at the time and there were no injuries.
The old resort has sat empty since 2014 but there were big plans in the works.
"Going to build a meditation center for Buddhist disciples from all over the world to come here for meditation," said Jack Wang.
Wang is the vice president of the Buddhist group that purchased the roughly 30-acre property back in December.
He says his group planned on renovating the building and turning it into a world peace center.
"Buddha statues inside, audio visual, you know, very nice things," he said.
Wang -- seeing the damage for the first time Monday morning -- says he's shocked and confused.
"I have a lot of questions, you know I'm feeling very bad," he said.
But he says the plan is still in place -- despite the setback -- and he hopes the community will come together and help build the center.
"It's going to be delayed, obviously because of this but we're not going to quit, we're going to stay here and make it happen," said Wang.
The State Police Fire Marshal is handing the investigation. There's no word yet on the cause of the fire or if it appears suspicious.
The Stroud Area Regional Police Department said in a Facebook post Friday morning it is asking for the public's help in obtaining information about the fatal crash that occurred on Sept. 16 at approximately 9:30 p.m.Read More »
- Shawn Christy's mother speaks out on son's capture
- Boyfriend facing homicide charge in connection with fatal pedestrian crash
- East Stroudsburg man accused of sexually assaulting 4-year-old
- Pedestrian killed in crash on Route 611 in Mount Pocono
- Two men arrested before drug sale in East Stroudsburg
- Berks-based uniform company to close plant near Frackville
- Hunterdon County Prosecutor: Man, woman killed in murder-suicide
- Lehigh Valley ride honors police officers killed in line of duty
- Hundreds light up the night at the annual Leukemia and Lymphoma Society walk
- Police arrest man who allegedly robbed Hellertown BB&T Bank
- Special Olympics football, cheerleading clinic creates bonds
- Police asking for public's help in investigation into fatal Stroud Township crash
- Woman injured in Allentown shooting
- Man with arrest warrant for alleged sexual assault of minors seen in Solebury Township
- Parts of Reading under boil water advisory
- Hackettstown authorities rescue hunter who fell into sewer drain