WEST BRANDYWINE TWP., Pa. - Two counselors at an addiction facility in Chester County died of opioid overdoses at the group home, the district attorney announced Wednesday.
Emergency responders were called to Freedom Ridge Recovery Lodge in the 100 block of Freedom Valley Circle in West Brandywine Township Sunday afternoon.
The facility is a private residence that is used as a group home or halfway house for those struggling with addiction, according to the DA's office.
Two people worked at the home as on-site counselors and six men lived there as part of their recovery. The counselors' jobs included establishing daily activities for the residents and keeping appropriate medications for the residents under lock and key, authorities said.
On Sunday, the residents found the counselors in two separate bedrooms, both unresponsive, according to the DA's office. Authorities say the residents tried to revive the counselors by using a nasal injection of naloxone, but it did not work. The residents then called for help, according to the DA's office.
Both counselors were pronounced dead at the scene. In the bedrooms of both counselors, the police found used needles and heroin baggies near their bodies, according to the DA's office. The baggies were stamped with a Superman logo and "danger" with a skull and crossbones. The DA's office said that preliminary toxicology results of the counselors were positive for heroin and fentanyl.
The case is being investigated by the Chester County Detectives and the West Brandywine Police Department. Anyone with additional information is asked to contact detectives at 610-344-6866.
On Friday, a multitude of those students' lives were changed when they got to open an envelope that revealed their match to a medical residency program.Read More »
- 200 students pay the price for national walkout participation
- 5 victims to testify in upcoming Bill Cosby trial
- Local students show support for National Walkout Day
- Quakertown woman allegedly steals, cashes $4,600 in checks
- Police seek driver in relation to child luring incident
- Police: Woman robbed on bike path in Perkasie
- Updated Allentown men charged after fatal crash involving stolen van
- Police: Drugged driver caused serious crash on Airport Road
- Updated Allentown police: Yu, Esterly book one-way ticket to Cancun
- Updated From restaurants to rails, St. Patrick's Day fun for all
- Updated PSU president meets with community leaders in Reading
- Change of plans: Bear Creek to extend season a few more days
- Coroner searching for Judith Myers next of kin
- Lehigh Valley receives $5 million in state solar energy grants
- Updated Health Beat: Biological heart valve for young patients
- Allentown parish school to close in June