PHILADELPHIA - Six Philadelphia narcotics officers were indicted Wednesday on racketeering and other charges for allegedly shaking down drug suspects for drugs and money, said United States Attorney Zane Memeger.
The officers once held a suspect over an 18th floor balcony and used a steel bar to beat someone else in the head, said authorities, who added that another suspect was held captive in a hotel room for several days while he and his family were threatened.
The officers were identified as:
- Thomas Liciardello, 38, a 19-year veteran of the force with 12 years in narcotics;
- Perry Betts, 46, a 19-year veteran with 13 years in narcotics;
- Norman Linwood, 46, a 24-year veteran with 16 years in narcotics;
- Brian Reynolds, 43, a 20-year veteran with 13 years in narcotics;
- John Speiser, 42, a 19-year veteran with five years in narcotics;
- Michael Spicer, 46, a 19-year veteran with 12 years in narcotics.
The officers were dismissed from the force and charged with RICO conspiracy, robbery, extortion, kidnapping and drug dealing.
"We don't tolerate this type of disgraceful behavior, and these officers don't represent the majority of this department, said Commissioner Charles Ramsey, Philadelphia Police Department. "We will continue to be transparent; we will continue to pursue those involved in corruption and remove those who don't belong in this department."
In February, former Officer Jeffrey Walker pleaded guilty to stealing $15,000 from a drug dealer in a plot that also involved planting drugs in his car. His attorney has acknowledged Walker was cooperating in a wider probe of the drug trafficking unit.
Dozens of drug convictions have been overturned in the wake of the scandal, officials said.
A Bucks County man has been sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole, plus 15 to 30 years in the shooting death of a friend.Read More »
- East Greenville moves forward with police department
- Pa. court tightens rules for seizing properties tied to crime
- Warrants issued for man in attack on person with cerebral palsy
- Man arrested in hit-and-run crash with school bus
- New app aims to save lives in Montgomery County
- 2 counselors overdose and die at Chester Co. halfway house
- Updated Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Catasauqua store robbed at gunpoint
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic
- Package that led to Newark airport evacuation deemed safe
- Fire destroys barn in Lehigh Twp.
- Artvana could take the place of former Mayfair Festival