CONSHOHOCKEN, Pa. - ArcelorMittal is closing part of a steel plant in Montgomery County, laying off about 150 workers as a result.
The Luxembourg-based company isn't closing the entire Conshohocken works, according to spokeswoman Mary Beth Holdford.
Rather, she said the steelmaker is closing the facility's rolling mill. Workers at the Conshohocken plant will continue to heat treat, finish, and inspect steel rolled at other mills in Coatesville, Chester County, and in Burns Harbor, Indiana.
United Steelworkers president Leo Gerard called the news "another direct blow to our national security." He said the steel rolled in Conshohocken had been used to make various Army vehicles and Navy craft.
"While the Coatesville and Burns Harbor facilities will continue to supply steel plate, and may be able to meet current military contracts, the idling of the Conshohocken facility has significant short- and long-term implications," Gerard said in a letter this week to the United States secretaries of commerce and defense.
Holdford said the layoffs will have "minimal impact" on the company's customers.
Deborah O'Neill is the coordinator of a University of Pennsylvania sexual trauma outreach team.Read More »
- Snowfall totals from the 69 News viewing area
- BARTA suspends evening bus service; Bieber buses also idled
- Speed, travel restrictions lifted on Pa. Turnpike, major highways
- US Senate confirms top prosecutor for Pa.'s Eastern District
- Traffic restrictions, road crews in place ahead of storm
- PennDOT prepares for yet another winter storm
- Updated 15 arrested in bust of violent drug trafficking organization
- Updated Fundraiser to save Toys R Us hopes to reach $1 billion
- Lehigh Valley Auto Show prepares for opening night
- Allentown Police Chief Glen Dorney is retiring
- Updated East Penn 'surprised' by US Department of Labor's lawsuit
- Updated Where did the millions of dollars from Berks Heim go?
- Updated Bethlehem Easter egg hunt rescheduled
- Cosby wants judge ousted over wife's sex-assault advocacy
- Updated PHOTOS: 'Operation Shattered' drug trafficking bust in Berks
- Palmerton man killed in crash in Washington Township