The high schools were identified as Monsignor Bonner - Archbishop Prendergast High School in Drexel Hill, Delaware Co., Conwell-Egan Catholic High School in Fairless Hills, Bucks Co., Saint Hubert Catholic High School for Girls in Philadelphia, and West Philadelphia Catholic High School.
St. Philip Neri School in East Greenville, Montgomery Co., near the border with Berks County, is on the list to be closed and consolidated with St. Isidore in Quakertown, Bucks Co.
The reorganization is the result of a yearlong analysis of the struggling Catholic school system that serves the city and four suburban counties.
"The content of the report is challenging – especially, and in a very personal way, for many of our families and students," said Archbishop Chaput. "But we can no longer avoid dealing with enrollment and financial realities that have been building in our schools for many years."
The archdiocese has 178 schools in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties. They serve about 68,000 students, which represents a 35 percent drop in enrollment since 2001.
The schools have suffered for years from rising costs and dwindling enrollment. Higher tuition, shifting demographics and the rise of charter schools have siphoned off many students.
Now has interim police chief and a cruiser.Read More »
- Pa. court tightens rules for seizing properties tied to crime
- Warrants issued for man in attack on person with cerebral palsy
- Man arrested in hit-and-run crash with school bus
- New app aims to save lives in Montgomery County
- 2 counselors overdose and die at Chester Co. halfway house
- Jury of 12 on Bill Cosby sex assault case includes 2 blacks
- One Freddy winner's emotional day
- Teacher who had sex with student in cemetery going back to jail
- Police raid home in Phillipsburg
- New Camelback Road bridge reopens
- Updated Alpine Mountain Ski area sold
- Updated Shortage of elder care workers a cause for concern
- East Greenville moves forward with police department
- Oley baseball players pay tribute to fallen teammate
- Students celebrate return of hometown hero
- Suspect who lost hand in home invasion sent to prison