The high schools were identified as Monsignor Bonner - Archbishop Prendergast High School in Drexel Hill, Delaware Co., Conwell-Egan Catholic High School in Fairless Hills, Bucks Co., Saint Hubert Catholic High School for Girls in Philadelphia, and West Philadelphia Catholic High School.
St. Philip Neri School in East Greenville, Montgomery Co., near the border with Berks County, is on the list to be closed and consolidated with St. Isidore in Quakertown, Bucks Co.
The reorganization is the result of a yearlong analysis of the struggling Catholic school system that serves the city and four suburban counties.
"The content of the report is challenging – especially, and in a very personal way, for many of our families and students," said Archbishop Chaput. "But we can no longer avoid dealing with enrollment and financial realities that have been building in our schools for many years."
The archdiocese has 178 schools in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties. They serve about 68,000 students, which represents a 35 percent drop in enrollment since 2001.
The schools have suffered for years from rising costs and dwindling enrollment. Higher tuition, shifting demographics and the rise of charter schools have siphoned off many students.
A judge will let only one other accuser testify at Bill Cosby's sexual assault trial to support charges the comedian drugged and molested a woman at his estate near Philadelphia.Read More »
- Too few flushes get legislative candidate thrown off ballot
- Pete Rose appears on Phillies' wall of fame ballot
- Philly mayor: $5.7M beverage tax haul doubles projections
- Sunoco building 2 pipelines, not just 1 across Pennsylvania
- Authorities identify 2 victims of Atlantic City stabbing
- At least 1 killed in Upper Providence crash
- Public memorial service planned for Al Boscov
- Man shot, killed by Reading police after allegedly pointing shotgun at officers
- Updated Strong storms move through the region
- Police investigating morning shooting in Reading
- Police searching for missing man in Bethlehem
- Bethlehem police searching for missing elderly man
- Judge: Man charged in deadly stabbing will remain jailed
- Police work to bring back murder suspect who fled state with 6-year-old daughter
- Police: Driver owes nearly $13,000 in unpaid tolls, fees
- Motorists seeing slightly lower gas prices in New Jersey