LOWER POTTSGROVE TWP., Pa. - Three suspects have been apprehended in the robbery of a bank near Pottstown and a subsequent police chase through Montgomery County.
The holdup happened shortly before 3 p.m. Wednesday at the National Penn Bank on East High Street in Lower Pottsgrove Township.
"Yes they both were armed, both with handguns. We're reviewing surveillance video at this point, and conducting the interviews of the people that were involved," said Sgt. Tim Walters, Lower Pottsgrove Township Police.
The robbers, armed with guns, stormed into the bank and demanded cash, police said. At least one of them jumped over the counter before they all fled the bank in a vehicle.
Officers gave chase, following the suspect vehicle into Lower Merion Township and the Villanova University area.
Three suspects were subsequently apprehended at gunpoint.
A large manhunt for a possible fourth person involved in the robbery prompted a lockdown of the Villanova University campus for more than two hours while police sealed off a 10-block area.
"People were really tense, nervous, helicopters all over the place. We just didn't know what was going to happen," said Debbie Shaner, who was at Villanova University during the lockdown.
The school's public safety department gave the all-clear just after 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, said spokeswoman Emily Walsh. Police said they now believe there were only three people involved in the holdup.
None of the employees or customers inside the bank was injured during the robbery, police said.
All three suspects, according to authorities, are expected to face a long list of robbery related charges.
- 2 counselors overdose and die at Chester Co. halfway house
- Jury of 12 on Bill Cosby sex assault case includes 2 blacks
- Cosby arrives for Day 3 of jury selection
- 11 people seated on Cosby jury; defense sees race bias
- Manchester Arena managed by suburban Philadelphia firm
- Jury selection enters 2nd day in Bill Cosby sex assault case
- Governor Wolf plans to sign Real ID law
- 2 dead in I-81 fatal crash in Schuylkill County
- Mural appears on Quaker Maid plant on Rte.10 in Reading
- Lower Nazareth Board of Supervisors passes medical marijuana ordinance
- Allentown rotary fountain receives Lehigh County OK
- Warren County Freeholders call a meeting of mayors
- Easton City Council tables action on Billy's Diner lease agreement
- Allentown program teaching kids valuable skills
- Last night for rehearsals before the 2017 Freddy's
- Oley Valley High School student killed in Ruscombmanor Twp. wreck