LOWER SOUTHAMPTON TWP., Pa. - A body on a gurney fell out of a coroner's van when a door malfunctioned, sending the corpse into the middle of a busy road in Bucks County.
The accident happened around noon Friday near a shopping center on Street Road in Lower Southampton Township.
The Bucks County coroner's office is blaming a mechanical malfunction with the vehicle's back door.
A photo posted on Facebook shows the corpse, wrapped in what appears to be a white sheet, lying in the street as cars buzzed by.
The coroner's office said the driver realized immediately that the door had opened and retrieved the body within minutes.
The office said it "deeply regrets this incident and will take steps to ensure that it is not repeated in the future."
A passerby who helped get the body into the van said he thought it was a prank, calling it "the most bizarre thing" he'd ever seen.
Pennsylvania State Police are asking for the public's help in a Chest County homicide that took place decades ago.Read More »
- Police officers help deliver baby on side of road
- 1808 farmhouse sales raise money for hospital
- Philadelphia cops raid pot-smoking party, arresting 22
- Man working on NFL draft stage injured after fall
- Police search for suspect in Chester County bank robbery
- FBI nabs suspected 'Straw Hat Bandit,' serial bank robber
- Updated Day care owner charged in baby's 2016 death, DA says
- Updated Police ambush killer won't take stand in bid to spare life
- Updated Driver trapped when SUV, tractor trailer collide in Maidencreek
- Man accused of hitting, killing wife with truck to stand trial
- Updated Woman sentenced in death of man with maggot-filled wounds
- State police asking for help in Chester County cold case
- Periods of rain or drizzle this afternoon; spotty rain or drizzle continues through early tomorrow
- NASCAR star Dale Earnhardt Jr. to retire at end of season
- 5K aims to promote importance of flexibility
- Four visits by Easton police equal one arrest