DOYLESTOWN, Pa. - A Bucks County dad entered a plea deal in connection with the accidental shooting death of his son last fall.
Nicholas Wyllie, 26, pleaded guilty Monday to involuntary manslaughter, endangering the welfare of a child, and reckless endangerment.
He was sentenced to one to two years in Bucks County Jail.
He was also given three years probation consecutive to the incarceration sentence as well as no firearm possession and 30 hours of community service in a parent/gun safety program.
Authorities say Wyllie's 2-year-old son, Benjamin Smith, picked up Wyllie's loaded handgun and accidentally shot himself in the chest in September 2016.
Benjamin died later at St. Luke's Hospital in Quakertown.
- GOP field grows to 4 to run for Pa. lieutenant governor
- Crews rescue person from Bucks County crash
- Police: Whitehall man arrested for punching Philly police horse
- Fisherman rescued after falling through ice in Honey Brook
- Man acquitted in abuse of boy at animal costume parties
- Forecasters warn of flooding due to Delaware River ice jam
- Steadier snow develops overnight leads to messy morning commute
- Jury selected for Allentown Mayor Pawlowski's trial
- Reading police seek persons of interest in fatal shooting
- Updated Bethlehem wants more critical look at tax-incentivized programs
- Updated Close? Delay? It can be a tough call for school districts
- Updated Two injured in head-on crash
- PennDOT wants drivers to cooperate, let crews do their job
- Berks steak brand lands coveted Twitter verification
- Embattled lawmaker to seek 22nd, last term in Pa. House
- Brandywine Heights only Berks district to open Tuesday