PHILADELPHIA - The Philadelphia Phillies and their longtime manager, Charlie Manuel, have parted ways.
Ryne Sandberg, the Phillies 3rd base coach and former manager of the Lehigh Valley IronPigs, will serve as interim manager of the Phillies through the remainder of the 2013 season.
Manuel has managed the Phillies since 2005, leading the team to a World Series win three years later. He was in the final year of his contract.
"I did not resign and I did not quit," Manuel said at a news conference at Citizens Bank Park. "I think it was an agreement."
"I didn't see any reason to have him go through the last 40 games knowing he wasn't going to be back," said Ruben Amaro Jr., the Phillies general manager. "That wouldn't have been fair."
Manuel, 69, recently won his 1,000th game as a major league manager, but the milestone win didn't come easy. The Phillies have lost seven of eight series since the All-Star break.
"I'm not here to blame Charlie Manuel for our issues," Amaro said. "I think we all have some responsibility in that regard."
What's your take? Record a message at 610-871-0074 or email email@example.com.
After playing for the Reading Phillies, Sandberg, 53, made his major league debut as a shortstop for Philadelphia in 1981, playing just 13 games before being traded to the Chicago Cubs, where he spent the remainder of his playing career until his retirement in 1997.
Sandberg rejoined the Phillies organization as IronPigs manager in November 2010. He was promoted to the Phillies 3rd base coach and infield instructor after the 2012 season.
First base coach Juan Samuel will take Sandberg's place as third base coach for the Phillies. Assistant hitting coach Wally Joyner will become the first base coach.
The Phillies will open a home series against the Dodgers on Friday night. Los Angeles is coming into the weekend series with an eight-game winning streak. The team is unbeaten in 16 straight series.
A judge will let only one other accuser testify at Bill Cosby's sexual assault trial to support charges the comedian drugged and molested a woman at his estate near Philadelphia.Read More »
- Pete Rose appears on Phillies' wall of fame ballot
- Philly mayor: $5.7M beverage tax haul doubles projections
- Sunoco building 2 pipelines, not just 1 across Pennsylvania
- Authorities identify 2 victims of Atlantic City stabbing
- At least 1 killed in Upper Providence crash
- New Jersey animal control officer arrested for sexual assault of minor
- Updated Palmer Twp. shooting suspect charged with criminal homicide
- Near-record warmth again today
- City of Reading receives FBI subpoena for documents
- Updated Judge: Only 1 Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial
- Updated Sunrise Chef: 19 Bella
- Life Lessons: End of life start ups
- Emergency sewer work shuts down Rt. 100 in Bally Borough
- 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- LVPC releases 'Livable Landscapes' survey results
- ASD hires Alvin Butz for school projects