HARRISBURG, Pa. - Gov. Tom Corbett's administration is unhappy about plans by two of Pennsylvania's most populous counties to issue photo identification cards that are designed to help people exercise their right to vote under the state's new law.
The law wasn't intended to allow counties to issue voter ID cards to whomever they want, a spokesman said.
The spokesman, Ron Ruman, said the administration was not briefed beforehand by officials from Allegheny and Montgomery counties, but he said state officials are not taking action at this point to stop them.
Ruman cautioned the IDs could create safety issues for county-affiliated nursing homes or colleges that issue them.
The Montgomery County commissioners voted Thursday to have its county-run nursing home, Parkhouse Providence Pointe, issue identification cards to county residents who are registered to vote and have no ID.
Commissioner Josh Shapiro said he's shocked that the Corbett administration would dissuade counties from trying to help registered voters get valid IDs.
Philadelphia police were continuing to investigate after raiding a pot-smoking party at a city warehouse, arresting 22 people and seizing 50 pounds of marijuana.Read More »
- Man working on NFL draft stage injured after fall
- Police search for suspect in Chester County bank robbery
- FBI nabs suspected 'Straw Hat Bandit,' serial bank robber
- Pottstown man found dead in park hours after house fire
- Body found near Schuylkill River in Pottstown's Riverfront Park
- Fire tears through Pottstown home
- Trial begins for accused getaway driver in 2015 killing spree
- Eric Frein sentencing continues Monday, focus shifts to Frein's father
- Updated Small earthquake rattles parts of Pennsylvania
- Updated Police arrest third man allegedly tied to drug deal assault
- Updated Mostly cloudy with a bit of rain this afternoon; rain continues through early Wednesday
- Street closures scheduled for downtown Allentown this week
- Pet owners learn animal CPR to help their furry friends
- Life Lessons: 3 Jars
- State police: 1 killed in crash with State Police vehicle
- Philadelphia cops raid pot-smoking party, arresting 22