PHILADELPHIA - The superintendent of the cash-strapped Philadelphia School District announced more cuts Friday, but he said schools will open as scheduled next month.
Superintendent William Hite said the cuts include not providing transportation for high school students who live within two miles of schools.
Schools also will be cleaned less frequently and school police officer vacancies will be left unfilled.
Hite called the temporary reductions the "least harmful" decision for schools and families.
Officials had been weighing options such as a delayed start or a shortened school year as well as layoffs to close an $81 million funding gap.
Philadelphia officials and the governor have urged lawmakers to approve a $2-per-pack city cigarette tax to generate more than $80 million for the schools.
Jurors at Bill Cosby's sex assault trial in Pennsylvania will hear his explosive deposition testimony about quaaludes but not his references to the supposed aphrodisiac Spanish fly.Read More »
- NFL Draft experience is a hit in Philadelphia
- Quakertown CSD OKs proposed final budget
- Grieving father urges parents to get gun lock after tragedy
- Pottstown police going door to door in borough
- NFL Draft kicks off in Philadelphia
- Cosby, daughter, lawyer speak out as sex assault trial looms
- Vehicle hits Berks apartment building; 2 families displaced
- Phantoms eliminated from playoffs
- Candidates for Allentown mayor weigh in on the issues
- Bethlehem Twp. police search for purse snatchers
- Birdsboro church closes its doors after 180 years
- Fans rally to support Phantoms hockey
- Yo ho ho! Pennsylvania aims to smash US embargo on Cuban rum
- Girlfriend's on-air killing drives anchorman into politics
- New Salvation Army opens in Berks
- First responders practice emergency preparedness at LVIA