WEST CHESTER, Pa. - A man has been arrested in what authorities have described as an "appalling" case of assault on a person with a disability.
The Chester County district attorney and West Chester police announced criminal charges Monday against Barry Baker, 29, of Georgetown, Delaware.
Baker, officials said, mocked the disability of a 22-year-old man with cerebral palsy as he walked inside the 7-Eleven store on South High Street in West Chester on May 10. Baker again mocked the man before sucker-punching him in the face as left the store and returned to his SUV, they said.
"The defendant’s actions in this case are appalling," said Chief Scott Bohn, West Chester Police Department. "You wonder what would make an individual treat somebody like that."
Video of the incident was recorded by the store's surveillance cameras and released by the DA's office on Monday. It shows Baker fleeing the scene by running around the corner of the store, the DA said.
"This defendant is a bully," Hogan said. "Every decent citizen should be outraged by the defendant’s conduct. The victim is to be commended for keeping his cool and notifying the police."
Baker was charged with simple assault and related offenses. Bail was set at $25,000.
Anyone with additional information about the incident is asked to call West Chester police at 610-696-2600.
A woman has been sentenced to 42 to 94 years in the beating death of her 3-year-old son in a mobile home in Chester County.Read More »
- Handyman accused of serial rape sentenced to 60 to 120 years
- Chester County mom gets 42-94 years for brutal beating death of son, 3
- Company president stores hazardous waste, faces charges
- Police event makes wish come true for boy battling cancer
- Smoke detectors donated in honor of boy, 9, who died in East Coventry fire
- Police need public's help to find alleged QNB bank robber
- Allentown's oldest swimming pool gets a boost
- 2 men facing charges in relation to killing of Verizon store employee
- Neighbors of shooting victim 'devastated' by pizza delivery incident
- Updated State police fire shots at man in Eldred Township incident
- Updated Meal kit delivery company opening East Coast hub in Lancaster
- Reading celebrates start of Hanukkah with menorah lighting
- Lehigh students use virtual reality to diagnose glaucoma
- Berks DA leads push for tougher sentences in fentanyl cases
- Discover ways to combat porch pirates this holiday
- Millbrook HomeCare Partners under new ownership