PHILADELPHIA - The United States attorney's office has indicted two men on federal charges in a series of armed robberies that spanned four counties last summer. A third person has been charged as an accessory.
Dale Mentzer and Heath DeRizzo were charged Thursday with two counts of interference with interstate commerce by robbery, four counts of bank robbery, two counts of use and carrying of a firearm during a crime of violence, and two counts of convicted felon in possession of a firearm.
Samantha Henderson was charged with accessory to robbery after the fact.
According to the indictment, Mentzer, 36, of Waymart, Wayne County, and DeRizzo, 37, of Manheim, Lancaster County, committed armed robberies at a Sovereign Bank in Kutztown on July 11, 2013; a Northwest Savings Bank in Myerstown, Lebanon County, on July 16, 2013; a First Cornerstone Bank in East Pikeland Township, Chester County, and the Rodeway Inn motel in Muhlenberg Township, Berks County, on July 18, 2013; and a National Penn Bank in Northampton, Northampton County, and Cihylik Greenhouse in Allen Township, Northampton County, on July 19, 2013.
Both men were arrested about a week later in Ocean City, Maryland.
If convicted, Mentzer and DeRizzo each faces a sentence of 32 years to life in prison, a fine of up to $2.5 million and five years of supervised release, officials said.
Henderson faces up to 10 years in prison, three years of supervised release and a fine of up to $250,000.
- Woman assaulted, robbed and bound in closet for 4 days
- Support hotline created in Bucks County for first responders
- Bill Cosby case to stay in Montco, be decided by outside jury
- Trial date changed for woman accused of shooting, killing ex-husband
- Judge rules Bill Cosby case to be decided by outside jury
- Judge: Only one Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial
- Allentown hit-and-run victim dies week after incident
- Time to get your fill of fastnachts
- Updated Nearly record warmth today and tomorrow with a few showers
- Road Blocks - Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Updated It's Fastnacht Day in Pennsylvania
- Updated Allentown police arrest unwelcome guest outside apartment building
- Man allegedly tries to head-butt arresting officers, damages patrol car
- Man tells police he stole mom's money as she slept
- Allentown man charged in connection with robbery and shooting
- Police: Nurse recorded videos of naked patients