PHILADELPHIA - Philadelphia fire officials say a preliminary investigation suggests a blaze that killed four children as it ripped through row homes started in a couch on a porch.
A fire department dispatcher says the victims of Saturday morning's blaze are 4-year-old twin girls, a 4-year-old boy and a month-old boy.
The twin's mother, 41-year-old Dewen Bowah, told police she was in the home with seven children early Saturday and managed to get three out when the fire broke out. But she couldn't save her daughters, Maria and Marialla Bowah, or 1-month-old Taj Jacque and 4-year-old Patrick Sanyeah. The boys' mother wasn't in the home at the time.
Four other people were injured. More than 40 residents were displaced.
Fire officials say the blaze began shortly before 3 a.m. and spread quickly. It was brought under control in about an hour. At least eight row homes were completely gutted, leaving behind only charred frames.
Fire Commissioner Derrick Sawyer called it a ``tragic, tragic day'' for the city.
One resident says his neighbors were ``running for their lives.''
Jurors at Bill Cosby's sex assault trial in Pennsylvania will hear his explosive deposition testimony about quaaludes but not his references to the supposed aphrodisiac Spanish fly.Read More »
- NFL Draft experience is a hit in Philadelphia
- Quakertown CSD OKs proposed final budget
- Grieving father urges parents to get gun lock after tragedy
- Pottstown police going door to door in borough
- NFL Draft kicks off in Philadelphia
- Cosby, daughter, lawyer speak out as sex assault trial looms
- President Trump to sign executive order on trade while in Pennsylvania
- First responders practice emergency preparedness at LVIA
- Candidates for Allentown mayor weigh in on the issues
- Deadly dog attack prompts warning to other dog owners
- Arrest made in Allentown murder
- Crews rescue woman from Allentown fire
- Members of white supremacist group face federal charges
- Police: Argument leads to man being intentionally struck by vehicle
- Nazareth rollover crash injures two
- BB gun-toting vandals shooting out car windows in Reading