FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - A man wanted on murder charges in the killing of his girlfriend has been arrested more than 1,000 miles away.
Edwin Carrero was apprehended shortly after 2 a.m. Tuesday in the parking garage of the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Fla., a spokeswoman with the Broward County's Sheriff's office told 69 News.
Carrero, 32, is accused of killing his girlfriend, Alicia Schmidt, last Thursday inside her home on Cherry Street in Pottstown, Montgomery Co.
Police found her body at the bottom of the basement steps. An autopsy determined she had been strangled, the coroner said.
Schmidt's two children, ages 7 and 12, were found unharmed in second floor bedrooms, police said.
Carrero called his ex-wife after the killing, said Montgomery County District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman, noting that he told his ex-wife he may have killed Schmidt by choking her and pushing her down the basement steps.
Carrero was behind the wheel of Schmidt's car when he was stopped in Florida on Tuesday, said Ferman, who noted that the car had a Florida license plate on it.
Authorities in Broward County said they have received from law enforcement in Montgomery County a notice of extradition for Carrero. They have not yet said whether Carrero plans to fight his return to Pennsylvania.
Pennsylvania State Police are asking for the public's help in a Chest County homicide that took place decades ago.Read More »
- Police officers help deliver baby on side of road
- 1808 farmhouse sales raise money for hospital
- Philadelphia cops raid pot-smoking party, arresting 22
- Man working on NFL draft stage injured after fall
- Police search for suspect in Chester County bank robbery
- FBI nabs suspected 'Straw Hat Bandit,' serial bank robber
- Updated Northampton DA to announce findings in baby's 2016 death at day care
- Updated Police ambush killer won't take stand in bid to spare life
- Updated Man accused of hitting, killing wife with truck to stand trial
- Updated State police asking for help in Chester County cold case
- Periods of rain or drizzle this afternoon; spotty rain or drizzle continues through early tomorrow
- Updated NASCAR star Dale Earnhardt Jr. to retire at end of season
- 5K aims to promote importance of flexibility
- Four visits by Easton police equal one arrest
- Life Lessons: Grandparents get geeky
- Commission set to vote on New Jersey statehouse renovations