HILLTOWN TOWNSHIP, Pa. - The hunt continues in Bucks County for two men police describe as armed and dangerous. Authorities say the pair is responsible for a violent and deadly crime at an area home Friday. One person was killed during a home invasion, two others tied up.
Investigators were back out at the scene Saturday on Swartley Road. Detectives working on day two of collecting evidence and mapping out the crime scene. We learned the home was targeted by the wanted suspects, but what we don't know is why.
"I do not believe that this was random," explained Bucks County District Attorney David Heckler. "I believe that the folks that went to that house, what their specific motivation was is yet to be determined, but I think they had the idea that they would get things that they wanted to get."
The whole ordeal started Friday morning. Police say two masked men with handguns stormed the upscale home in Hilltown Township. They killed 48-year-old Joseph Canazaro. His girlfriend and his 12-year-old son escaped after being tied up in the basement.
"They were unaware that the victim had been killed, thought perhaps that he had been kidnapped," shared Heckler. "The police discovered the body when they responded to the 911 call."
Police say the pair ransacked the house, stole guns and a black Lincoln pickup truck. That getaway vehicle was later found ditched behind a shopping center in Quakertown. Folks living in the shaken community say they're keeping their doors locked.
"Those things don't happen around here," said Dorothy Wiley.
"Something like this happens here, it kind of makes you think okay what do we need to do to improve our safety," added Joe Sullivan.
At this point there's no word on motive. Canazaro was a local businessman who filed for bankruptcy in 2008. Federal investigators are working this case alongside local authorities.
"I do feel very badly for their family," said Joy Sullivan. "It is sad, a tragic loss."
Police say they're looking at tons of surveillance video, and are pursuing leads as they continue their search for the two suspects. They are described as a 5 foot 9 Hispanic male and a shorter Asian man last seen wearing a black jacket and cargo pants. Anyone with information is urged to call 911.
A judge will let only one other accuser testify at Bill Cosby's sexual assault trial to support charges the comedian drugged and molested a woman at his estate near Philadelphia.Read More »
- Pete Rose appears on Phillies' wall of fame ballot
- Philly mayor: $5.7M beverage tax haul doubles projections
- Sunoco building 2 pipelines, not just 1 across Pennsylvania
- Authorities identify 2 victims of Atlantic City stabbing
- At least 1 killed in Upper Providence crash
- New Jersey animal control officer arrested for sexual assault of minor
- Updated Palmer Twp. shooting suspect charged with criminal homicide
- FBI subpoenas Reading for documents from previous administration
- Missing 6-year-old Connecticut girl found in Pennsylvania
- Judge: Only 1 Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial
- Near record warmth again today
- Updated Temps at or near all-time February records
- Giant launches 'Bag Hunger' campaign with one-day give
- Jackpot-winning Cash 5 lottery ticket sold in Berks
- 'Berks County Time Train' to air 200th episode
- Updated Police nab pair advertising pot sales online